Wireguard unable to access internet

Wireguard on my Unraid server has always worked quite well, but today I noticed that when I connect to my server through the Wireguard client, I can access my server directly via IP address but I can't access any websites outside my local network. I haven't changed any settings on my Unraid server. It seems like a DNS issue and I've already tried switching my DNS servers in the Unraid client to try 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9. Hoping someone here can help me debug this issue.

C:\Users\nolan>ping google.com
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

image.png

Edited by nrgbistro
8 hours ago, nrgbistro said:

I connect to my server through the Wireguard client, I can access my server directly via IP address but I can't access any websites outside my local network.

Help me out. You want local secure access and public secure access?

How about you explain to me how that works?

If you can (logically) explain how it works to me; I will explain how it works (technically) to you.

MrGrey

Hello,

i have the same problem and started a topic @ the German subforum.

@MrGrey

As you can see in this picture from the integrated help, you should access server, the network and aswell the internet. I just started with unraid, but @nrgbistro seems to had a working configuration, until it stopped. I dont know, maybe you did a update from unraid in the past?

whZ8vPS.png

@nrgbistro i solved the problem.

In the wireguard thread is a useful information in the first post.

There are some configurations you'll want to avoid, here is how a few key settings interact:

With "Use NAT" = Yes and "Host access to custom networks" = disabled (static route optional)

server and dockers on bridge/host - accessible!

VMs and other systems on LAN - accessible!

dockers with custom IP - NOT accessible

(this is the "simple network" setup assumed by the guide above)

With "Use NAT" = Yes and "Host access to custom networks" = enabled (static route optional)

VMs and other systems on LAN - NOT accessible

(avoid this config)

With "Use NAT" = No and no static route

VMs and other systems on LAN - NOT accessible

(avoid this, if "Use NAT" = No, you really need to add a static route in your router)

With "Use NAT" = No and "Host access to custom networks" = disabled and static route 

(You've come this far, just set "Host access to custom networks" to enabled you're set)

With "Use NAT" = No and "Host access to custom networks" = enabled and static route 

dockers with custom IP - accessible!

(woohoo! the recommended setup for complex networks)

my solution was to set a static router for the vpn network and routing it to the unraid server ip