I screwed-up my UNRAID installation

netcom

So, few hours ago, I was trying to get "screen" running on my UNRAID installation.
After installing the package via "installpkg" and trying to run it I got a message "version `GLIBC_2.XX' not found". I googled a bit about it and made a fatal mistake of installing "glibc-2.23-x86_64-4_slack14.2.txz" package.

Right after this all applications/commands I try to run report "version `GLIBC_2.XX' not found". Even basic things such as ls/cp/mv are broken, Web UI is fully broken too. This would not be a big deal if it was not for the fact that I'm 3k miles away from my server for the next few months without any kind of IP-KVM attached to it.

image.png.d9461d94464794e84237cef844c3693a.png

Some things appear to be working for now: network shares, docker containers, VMs.
Not sure how to deal with this, I don't want to reboot it because I doubt I will see it online again.

Any suggestions are welcome 😅

Probably best if you don't try to leverage your Linux skills until you get a better idea how Unraid works.

The Unraid OS is contained in archives on the flash drive. These archives are unpacked fresh into RAM at each boot, and the OS runs completely in RAM. So, any changes you try to make to the OS will not survive reboot. Think of it as firmware.

The flash drive also contains settings you make in the webUI so these can be reapplied at boot.

Install the Community Applications plugin first, it will let you install many plugins and very many dockers.

Use Community Applications to install the NerdTools plugin. NerdTools will let you install 'screen' and many other cli tools.

Unraid isn't intended to be a general-purpose, mulit-user Linux distribution. It is a NAS appliance OS that supports VM and Docker hosting. Only root has access to the command line and webUI, other users you create in the webUI are strictly for network file access via SMB or NFS.

If you want a general-purpose, multi-user Linux, you can install a VM.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Normally you operate Unraid from the webUI, which includes rebooting.

Unfortunately Web UI is not working either. I guess I will have to find someone to come to my home and physically reboot the machine for me.