Parity-sync very slow (> 3days remaining)

Greetings!

I'm totally new to unraid and linux in general.

This homeserver is my first project with unraid.

Today I got a new harddrive I want to use as the parity.

Within the process of preparing for this, I defined another disk as Par2. So fine, so good.

Today the new drive, (Ironwolf Pro+ 4TB), arrived. I stopped the array and set the Ironwolf als Par1, disabling Par2, since it should become an array-drive in the next step.

Parity sync started with no problem, but estimated time is more than 3 days with a speed of ~ 10 to 12 MB/s.

My setup:

Server: Dell Wyse 5070, Intel Pentium Silver J5005 CPU @ 1.50GHz, 8GB DDR4

Fantech  QB-35US3-6G: 4-bay HDD/SSD Box; connected with USB 3.2 Gen 1 to an USB SS+-Slot

Drives:

1. Par1 = Seagate Ironwolf Pro+ 4TB

2. Dis1 = Seagate Baracuda 1TB

3. Dis2 = WD 1TB

4. unassigned (yet) = WD 1TB

The three 1TB-disks are old disks from my previous desktop-pcs; one beeing extrcated from an external USB-case.

May the CPU be the bottleneck-factor? Most of the time, the 4 cores shift between 30 and 70%. But sometimes one of the cores hit the 100%...

Any suggestion would be helpful, but please keep in mind that I'm pretty unexperienced in this field, so please explain it in small steps =D

EDIT: Problem was the same, when I left the Par2 in place without unassigning it. Same "speed" and time for the parity-sync.

Parityslow1.PNG

Parityslow2.PNG

unsc-gatekeeper-diagnostics-20240116-1300.zip

Edited by Carmino

1. DiskSpeed isn't really useful. Tried that another day when trying to find the bottleneck of slow speed when transfering data from my desktop to a shared folder. There it seems to be the CPU beeing the limiting factor. Problem is here, that diskspeed only shows a blank page when I hit the "benchmark drives" button. See screenshot.

2. Thanks for the additional hint... but what does that mean? 😅

diskspeedempty.PNG

Hello Carmino and welcome to the UNRAID forums! ;)
What are you planning to use your set up for?

Have a look at the HDD SMART settings on your two 1TB drives. Drive properties>Self Test>SMART extended self-test: > START
I wouldn't think there's any issues with the new4TB drive. But do a SMART short self-test: on that one..

Then, Run Settings>Fix Common Problems, and see whether anything comes up on that.
It's a good idea to schedule this to run too.. (I use Daily).