Sudden problems with unraid server

luca

I was running 5beta12a, when earlier today I noticed the system taking a very long time to delete a bunch of files - up to almost a minute for some files. I reverted to beta9 (which has served me fine) and restarted the system but the problem persisted.

The syslog (attached) is showing several errors. Beside the delay, I seem to have partially lost the ability to use the GUI: unraid main will open, but with no buttons showing, while unmenu seems to be working still. Not sure what to make of this. Can anyone help?

syslog-2011-10-14.zip

I'll take a stab at this.  Reading your syslog, it looks like disk 10 is having some problems with read errors.  I wouldn't jump to "bad drive" conclusion immediately, though.  Check your connections to that drive and the controller that runs it and if possible, try a different cable.  Although it doesn't look like a power issue to me, it's probably worth checking power connections as well.

Your syslog is also reporting parity issues, which could either be because it's experiencing read errors from drive 10 AND/OR that the parity drive is having issues as well.  It's probably just an issue with drive 10...but if it's both (and I can't say for sure), then proceed very carefully because you could have a condition where two drives are experiencing issues and that's bad.  If you can, I'd suggest a data backup of any critical files.

My guess is that the beta didn't cause this, but rather coincidence.  Have you done a parity check recently?  I would suggest it's always always be a good idea to check parity & backup critical files prior to making any significant changes to your system.

Although some here may know your system well, I'd suggest providing more detail about your configuration/controller/etc because it's going to help people help you better.

Edit:  The gui issues are a little concerning.  Do you have an onboard NIC?  Have you checked processes to see if anything is hogging the system?  Looks like you did a recent restart...but a full system off condition could be beneficial.

Edit:  The gui issues are a little concerning.  Do you have an onboard NIC?  Have you checked processes to see if anything is hogging the system?  Looks like you did a recent restart...but a full system off condition could be beneficial.

Thanks  for taking a stab.  :) The GUI issue turned out to be caused by eset antivirus, which I had very recently installed, grrr... After finding that out, a quick google search found this recent thread, describing the very same issue:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15493.0

I guess I can deal with the drive(s) issue, but the simultaneous bogus GUI had me going for a while.

Still, I'd like to know what is causing all these unmenu "bad method" errors in syslog. Are these something worth worrying about?

Oct 15 14:31:27 FS1 unmenu[2330]: bad method -    65333  4317996 35065281  679070      17        2      152      140        0  380750  67917065333-^M

Oct 15 14:32:00 FS1 last message repeated 172 times

Oct 15 14:33:06 FS1 last message repeated 344 times

Oct 15 14:34:10 FS1 last message repeated 310 times

Oct 15 14:35:11 FS1 last message repeated 275 times

Oct 15 14:36:17 FS1 last message repeated 344 times

Oct 15 14:37:30 FS1 last message repeated 344 times

Oct 15 14:38:35 FS1 last message repeated 310 times

Oct 15 14:39:28 FS1 last message repeated 309 times

Oct 15 14:39:29 FS1 unmenu[2283]: /usr/sbin/lighttpd: error while loading shared libraries: libfam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (Errors)

Oct 15 14:39:30 FS1 unmenu[2330]: bad method -    65333  4317996 35065281  679070      17        2      152      140        0  380750  67917065333-^M

Oct 15 14:39:30 FS1 last message repeated 4 times

thanks mbryanr, but I do not seem to have the Dell networking service installed, not the other thing (oneclicksomething...) anywhere on my LAN. It must be a different device or service producing the same effect. Meantime the syslog is getting cluttered by these silly bad-method entries.

Would changing unmenu's port help? Presumably whatever process is scanning port 8080 is not scanning other ports... Otherwise I'm guessing wireshark will be the next step. What do you figure the smoking packet would look like?

On the bright side, simply re-seating drive10 seems to have fixed all the UNC and other disk errors. I run a parity check and it was fine. Also finished re-synching both servers, I can breath a little better now.  :)

I am still experiencing a couple of unmenu issues.

Changing ummenu's port to something other than 8080 did not fix the bad-method errors, which does not make a lot of sense to me. Also, changes I make in the package manager don't seem to "stick". Probably better if I open a separate thread for these problems.

Archived