Upgrading both drives in Raid 1 Cache Pool without having spare slots

Hi all,

I can't imagine this hasn't been asked somewhere before but for the life of me I can't find a relevant answer.

I have two M.2 SSDs in a Raid1 pool, and want to upgrade the capacity of my pool. Unfortunately I don't have a way to connect the new drives at the same time as the old ones. What is the best procedure for this?

For reference I am running Version 6.12.4

13 minutes ago, trurl said:

It was originally written for btrfs when there wasn't ZFS. The btrfs section is above the ZFS section in that FAQ post.

Yes, but it also specifically says

"-This procedure assumes you have enough ports to have both the old and new devices connected at the same time, if not you can use this procedure instead."

And that second linked procedure is for when you only have a single cache drive.

40 minutes ago, contested-crossbar7479 said:

This procedure assumes you have enough ports to have both the old and new devices connected at the same time, if not you can use this procedure instead

Sorry that should be more clear, I'm going to edit the entry when I can, with a multi device pool you don't need to have the old device connected, you can upgrade one device at a time, in the past it could be used to replace a single/device pool if both devices were connected.

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Sorry that should be more clear, I'm going to edit the entry, with a multi device pool you don't need to have the old device connected, you can upgrade one device at a time, in the past it could be used to replace a single/device pool if both devices were connected.

Gotcha! That makes sense, I couldn't quite piece together why having old and new connected was necessary, but wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

Thanks for the help and clarification!!