Possible failing drive concerns and questions (SOLVED)

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi, I did a parity check the results told me that I have over 70 sync errors. I have never seen sync errors before and read that it could be an indicator of a failing drive. What should my next steps be to make sure I don't have data loss? I have exported my syslog and diagnostics as suggested in the read me post. I just got around the making this post after 3 weeks of receiving the errors. My system did a parity check a few days ago as well and it said I had no sync errors. Thank you for any help you can provide!
homelab-diagnostics-20240105-0031.zip
homelab-syslog-20240105-0532.zip

1245283657_Screenshot2024-01-04at14_28_48.thumb.png.471c32439ef2083176c495ccc31b5ba3.png

Edited by sins
Solved
  • Solution

Your screen shot shows you ran a correcting parity check which made the parity agree with the data drives.  Had you by any chance had an unclean shutdown earlier - they would normally cause a few sync errors.   You should then not expect any further errors on the next check

Was this a manually initiated check or a scheduled one?   Just asking as we normally recommend that scheduled checks are set to be non-correcting so that faulty hardware will not end up corrupting parity before you are aware of any issues.

Sorry for the late response! I think I had a hard restart due to a power outage. If cutting power can cause sync errors, I guess that'd be why. It was a scheduled check as well. I have one set for the 1st of every month.

Thank you for the non-correcting sync setting recommendation. I had that enabled as I thought it'd be the safest option. I'll be sure to turn that off. Should I keep "Cumulative parity check" disabled too?

1 hour ago, sins said:

Should I keep "Cumulative parity check" disabled too?

Since you have large disks, you might want to consider using the Parity Check Tuning plugin and if you install that it will want you to set the Cumulative Parity Check option to No as the plugin will handle increments.   If you do not use the plugin then you can set that option as you prefer.

• sins changed the title to Possible failing drive concerns and questions (SOLVED)