Unplugging an unsupported drive

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello there,

I'm still fairly new to the community and in owning a home server.

In my ignorance I thought I could just plug and unplug additional USB HDDs to my thin client like I would on my PC.

Turns out I was wrong and simply disconnecting the HDD, which is unmountable anyway (Unsupported partition layout), results in not being able to boot up my array again.

> Now my humble question is, how can I disconnect the HDD again?

I don't want to format the disc - at least not yet.

All I wanted to do is check 'real quick' if I can plug the HDD to access it's data through the network.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

You should handle drives that are not intended to be permanently part of the Unraid array by using the Unassigned Devices plugin.

you can reset your current array settings via Tools->New Config.

Thank you itimpi.

When I reset the array, will I have to reinstall and/or reconfigure my dockers?

And before initiating it, should I disconnect the unwanted drive?

• Solution
2 hours ago, IMACRAB said:

Thank you itimpi.

When I reset the array, will I have to reinstall and/or reconfigure my dockers?

And before initiating it, should I disconnect the unwanted drive?

The New Config option is covered Here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page. The Unraid OS->Manual section in particular covers most features of the current Unraid release.

i recommend you use the option to keep all current assignment, and then just remove the drive you longer want in the array on the Main tab before starting the array to commit the change.   No need to physically disconnect that drive.   Your dockers, etc will stay installed.

• Thanks 1

Worked perfectly, thank you so much!

19 hours ago, itimpi said:

The New Config option is covered Here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page. The Unraid OS->Manual section in particular covers most features of the current Unraid release.

i recommend you use the option to keep all current assignment, and then just remove the drive you longer want in the array on the Main tab before starting the array to commit the change.   No need to physically disconnect that drive.   Your dockers, etc will stay installed.