Random shutdowns, issues rebooting

Had a power outage last week and the server wouldn't come back up

I tried removing different parts of the server for it to post and finally got it to post after removing usb, verifying and fixing problems in usb

Today we had another outage, server came back up pretty quickly, but then went back down.

Server hasn't been able to stay up with regularity since the outage.

I've enabled writing logs to flash drive for when it goes down next but I also got a notification 'machine check events' and to post the logs here.

Can anyone take a look and see what's up? I'm guessing flash drive is on it's way out, but maybe something else is too?

Bullet format

- Wouldn't reboot (mid december, finally came up but don't know why)

- Power outage

- Checked components, fixed flash

- Power outage

- Rebooted, won't stay up

- Logs uploaded

tower-diagnostics-20240204-1535.zip

So added a ups and switched to a new flash drive, server went down again an hour later.

Got some new ram, everything started up and stayed up pretty well for 12 hours, now it's down again.

What's the next thing I could check or replace?

Are there different logs to look at?

syslog-192.168.0.200.log

Ok so new psu is having more uptime, it did crash last night it seems but only once so maybe something has helped with that.

I am still having issues showing video output when posting to get to mem test however.

From looking over this log I'm guessing still try to find a way to get to memtest? or is it pointing at something else now

While I can get to the server via networked computer, the video output on the MB isn't working with or without the GPU plugged in.

Can't access bios or video output (memtest or unraid) via the hdmi ports...

edit: got video output through the gpu and running memtest

Edited by sl0pz

Ok memtest 4pass had zero errors (new memory from last week)

I'm not sure why I can't get video output from the mb hdmi port when the gpu isn't attached, I believe I have before.

I got into the bios no problem now and enabled iommu in (from auto to enabled) as I saw another person said this worked for them

Removed GPU stats plugin to see if that gets rid of the log errors.

Will post back if/when it crashes overnight!

Ok So crashed again last night. not sure when, the last part of the log was 4pm and I found it dead at 11:25

There are no entries in the log between those two times. The nvidia log entries are gone after the removal gpustats plugin as well.

So just looking for more tests to run to see why it's turning off

syslog-192.168.0.200.log

The previous crash was the latest one, I changed the bios settings to typical idle current instead of auto as I found perhaps it was dropping out from failing to come back from a low power state.

Current uptime since then is 23 hours

About 4 days of uptime at this point

Anyone reading this thread thinking this sounds like me, my solutions were

- cleaning up energy source (UPS + new power supply)

- new flash drive

- upgrading memory (could have been unnessecary)

My guess is, because it was the last thing I tried fixing, that the home power going on and off messed with some part of the 8 year old power supply and was not giving clean power to the system.

• Like 1