We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Point7 first build

Point7

OS at time of building: unRAID 5.0beta12a

CPU:  Intel Core i5 2400 3.10GHz 6MB Box (overkill but I wasn’t sure if unraid worked for me and then I could use the hardware for a simple desktop PC)

Motherboard:  Asus P8H67-M LE B3 iH67 (has the Realtek RTL8112L chip and EFI BIOS for >2.2TB)

RAM: Corsair 2x2GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL9, XMS3 (RAM is cheap)

Case: Antec 1200

Drive Cage(s): Lian Li EX-H34SX 4in3 HDD bay  (4x)

Power Supply: Corsair HX750W 750W Single +12V rail design providing up to 62A  (overkill for now but future proof)

SATA Expansion Card(s): Adaptec 1430SA (2x), Promise FastTrak SATA 300 TX4

Cables: stock SATA Cables Lian Li bays

Fans: Scythe Big Shuriken CPU fan, 4x120mm stock fans from Lian Li bays, 1x200mm stock fan from Antec case

Parity Drive: 2TB WD Caviar Black WD2002FAEX

Data Drives: 2TB WD Green WD20EARS (2x), 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda LP Green ST1500541AS (1x), 1.5TB Samsung Spinpoint F2 EcoGreen HD154UI (2x), 1.0TB WD Green WD10EACS (2x)

Cache Drive: 1.5TB Samsung Spinpoint F2 EcoGreen HD154UI (I’m getting up to 100MB/s write speeds with this drive)

Total Drive Capacity: 10.5TB storage

Primary Use: Blu-Ray storage and streaming, DVD storage, Backup Images

Likes: quiet (drives spin down), Low Power consumption, easy storage expansion, HDD fail protection,

Dislikes: Write speed, long parity check

Add Ons Used: preclear, unMenu,

Future Plans:  more drives, bigger drives, maybe new 120mm fans

Boot (peak): 205 W

Idle (avg): 52 W

Active (avg): 92 W

Light use (avg): tbd W

Notes: After searching lots of possible drive bays (Norco etc.) I’ve stumbled on the new Lian Li EX-H34SX 4in3 HDD bay. For me it had more than enough trays and more important it has 120mm fans. Most bays have 80mm or 92mm fans. A 120mm fan is mostly quieter and moves more air.

The drive brackets (steel) and drive mounting in the bays are very solid.

The Lian Li stock fans are reasonable quiet but maybe I’m going to slow them down (7V adapter) or replace them but I'm going to wait for more temperature results with the stock fans at full speed.

DdJaO.jpg

NqCqe.jpg

server1c.jpg

Tu0ie.jpg

server1f.jpg

I mean...lol why noy just add an i7 processor with 8GB RAM!! ;D

Hey....well good luck!!  Imma NooB in here so i wont attempt to give any advice aside from wishing you good luck. But...as far as I know your rig will be wayyy heavy for unRAID. 

I wanted a core i cpu because they use very low power in idle mode and are fast when needed. The cheapest core i3 would be a better choice I know, but I wasn't sure that Unraid worked on this hardware. I had never used Unraid before.

Hey.....Sweeeet build!! 

I noticed that you got 100MB/s with the addition of your cache drive.  Does a cache drive really increase write speeds that dramatically over not having?  So...if I added a cache drive could I expect the same results??  100MB/s write would not be realistic for me anyway as long as i'm using main PC to organize and distribute content to unRAID as it is connected to a 10/100 router. But I do have Gigabit between HTPC and unRAID!!

Also...you may already know bout the wdidle3.exe cmd to disable DrivePark times with EARS and EADS WD drives.  This I found out will decrease Load Cycle Count's extending the life of your drives...  Check it out!!  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14194.0

Hey.....Sweeeet build!! 

I noticed that you got 100MB/s with the addition of your cache drive.  Does a cache drive really increase write speeds that dramatically over not having?  So...if I added a cache drive could I expect the same results??  100MB/s write would not be realistic for me anyway as long as i'm using main PC to organize and distribute content to unRAID as it is connected to a 10/100 router. But I do have Gigabit between HTPC and unRAID!!

Also...you may already know bout the wdidle3.exe cmd to disable DrivePark times with EARS and EADS WD drives.  This I found out will decrease Load Cycle Count's extending the life of your drives...  Check it out!!  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14194.0

A cache drive increases the write speeds significantly. Any modern large HDD  (> 1.0TB) has faster write speeds then the maximum of gigabit networking. Even 5400 rpm drives as you can see. So you don't have to spend extra money on a fast 7200 rpm hard drive. A large 5400rpm is fast enough because of the density of the platters and cheaper. (although prices are rocketing sky high for the moment)

I'm getting these speeds also because of my desktop PC setup.

I've a RAID 0 of 3x SSD Vertex Turbo 120GB (OS+software) + RAID 0 of 2x WD black 640GB (data disk).  Copying from my raid0 SSD gets write speeds of over 100MB/sec. Copying from my RAID 0 HHD drive only when there is nothing else writing or reading these drives. I think in most cases with a "normal" setup you get write speeds around 80 a 85 MB/sec with a fast cache drive.

it is sort of like the older dell or HP caddies where the screw is also the slide.

Although they have gone screw less on most of the new caddies.

they look clean that is for sure. are there any drive status lights?

No status or other lights !

I didn't know about wdidle3.  I've just disabled IDLE3 on all my WD drives. Thanks for the tip !

By disabling IDLE3 on your WD drives you will negate some of their power savings features.  Personally, I would watch the drives' LCC count over the course of a few months and see if the modification is really necessary.  I've found that some of my drives did need it, while others didn't.  I would prefer to run with the original power-saving firmware whenever possible.

By disabling IDLE3 on your WD drives you will negate some of their power savings features.  Personally, I would watch the drives' LCC count over the course of a few months and see if the modification is really necessary.  I've found that some of my drives did need it, while others didn't.  I would prefer to run with the original power-saving firmware whenever possible.

I looked up the SMART results of my WD drives. Looks like 2 drives didn't need for IDLE3 to be disabled.

WD2002FAEX --> 265 hours --> 103 LCC --> 0.4/hour

WD10EACS --> 24853 hours --> 257470 LCC --> 10.4/hour

WD20EARS --> 781 hours --> 10131 LCC --> 13/hour

WD20EARS --> 985 hours --> 11998 LCC --> 12.2/hour

WD10EACS --> 13703 hours --> 2599 LCC --> 0.2/hour

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived