ASUS PRIME H770-PLUS D4, LSI-9207-8i & Nvidia P4000

Hey,

I have recently downgraded from a Dell R730 server that was running my unraid / Plex combo and am looking to build a new PC.

This setup will be headless and only be used to run plex. No VMs, etc.

I already have the followign hardware:

• LSI-9207-8i - for my 6 main drives and 2 cache drives.
  • Nvidia P4000 - for HW transcoding
  • SilverStone CS380 case with 8 drive backplane

I am a bit confused at which mobo I should get to support max bandwidth for the two cards.

Looking at the ASUS PRIME H770-PLUS D4 along with a i3-12100 CPU.

Will this mobo give me the max throughput (required PCIe lanes) to support the two cards?

Thanks. 

Hi there, 

I dont think you gonna find what you looking for on consumer grade hardware, because the cpu's deliver 20 pcie lanes for 1 times an 16x slot and 1x times 4x for an nvme drive ( and i think AMD has 24 lanes but also for an extra nvme. 

rest of the connectivity is handled by the south bridges, but havent seen any do x8 lanes like your hba would require. 

it would work but probably speed limited by the pcie 3.0 the card is build on and how many data bandwith is used by other devices connected by the same dmi lanes to the cpu. 

depends on how many drives you want to connect maybe the ASRock Z790 Pro RS is an alternative choise who has 8 sata already onboard 

quick check on platform check you can see the z770 is limited to 16 lanes: 

image.thumb.png.99b985b586513895a4aadfa969d8d6fe.png

Otherwise you have to look in tho threadripper or xeon lines to have more pcie lanes to use it on full speed. 

Hope this helps you out