Options for adding more sata to an itx build

Nirin

So I have a need for 6 sata ports, but unfortunately itx boards only have 4 (at least the ones compatible with my setup do, that weren't hideously expensive).

I have two nvme slots, but I use them both for nvme drives.

I have several usb internal headers, but I hear they aren't a good idea to use because of being unreliable connections for sata drives.

I have a pcie gen 5 x16 slot, but using that for two sata connections seems a massive waste of resources.

I may have an m.2 key-e slot I could use an adapter in, as I don't need WiFi on this board, but I'm yet to figure out if it's accessible as it's under the io shroud.

Current considerations (Other than the key-e) is to find some kind of splitter board for the pci slot, or maybe turn it into a couple more nvme slots, and then use an nvme slot to add more sata.... but I figured I'd ask the question in case I was missing a trick somewhere!

you need one m.2 slot for M.2 to 6x SATA adapter (something like that: https://www.amazon.com/Express-Converter-Downstream-Thunderbolt-Expansion/dp/B0B7CNL4QD)

- ASM1166 chip - this is one of the best, most efficient and supported with good price

- driver needs to be upgraded most probably, according to this thread: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102010-recommended-controllers-for-unraid/?do=findComment&comment=1185707

Edited by bagican
2 hours ago, bagican said:

you need one m.2 slot for M.2 to 6x SATA adapter (something like that: https://www.amazon.com/Express-Converter-Downstream-Thunderbolt-Expansion/dp/B0B7CNL4QD)

- ASM1166 chip - this is one of the best, most efficient and supported with good price

- driver needs to be upgraded most probably, according to this thread: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102010-recommended-controllers-for-unraid/?do=findComment&comment=1185707

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, though it would mean also finding a pci-e to nvme card to replace the nvme slot. Probably the only real solution though. 

I'm curious why outfitting the setup with the ports it needs is a waste? An unused slot is more of a waste than using it so you have what you need.

You can get ASM1166 pcie cards too, and that's going to be the most sensible immediate solution (budget, function, and power consumption). No sense in doubling the number of adapters.

If in the future your requirements change, re-evaluate.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, _cjd_ said:

I'm curious why outfitting the setup with the ports it needs is a waste? An unused slot is more of a waste than using it so you have what you need.

You can get ASM1166 pcie cards too, and that's going to be the most sensible immediate solution (budget, function, and power consumption). No sense in doubling the number of adapters.

If in the future your requirements change, re-evaluate.

I guess its just that using a gen5 pci-e just for 2 sata ports, which is like.... a fraction of a fraction of the bandwidth the x16 slot can handle, seems a bit of a waste. I'm sure I could find a better use for the x16 slot, such as double NVME or a GPU. 

However as the primary purpose is as a NAS, and I have space for 6 sata drives in the case, I will prioritise that. I'll try the alternatives first, but if that fails I'll pick up an ASM1166

Realistically, I personally would purchase a used, or cost-effective PCIe SAS HBA and place all of your disks on it, bailing on the internal SATA ports all together.  Purchasing an "-8i" controller will provide you 8 ports for SATA or SAS drives.  Only other item you'd need is the proper cable w/power connections on them.  

If you do decide to use the PCIe for something else (video HBA for transcoding?; 10Gbe?...), then the PCIe-to-SATA adapter is about your only other path out of this one... short of buying a new motherboard with more slots/expansion.

13 minutes ago, Spunner said:

Realistically, I personally would purchase a used, or cost-effective PCIe SAS HBA and place all of your disks on it, bailing on the internal SATA ports all together.  Purchasing an "-8i" controller will provide you 8 ports for SATA or SAS drives.  Only other item you'd need is the proper cable w/power connections on them.  

If you do decide to use the PCIe for something else (video HBA for transcoding?; 10Gbe?...), then the PCIe-to-SATA adapter is about your only other path out of this one... short of buying a new motherboard with more slots/expansion.

Interesting, what's the benefit of using the pci ports over the ones on the board? I hadn't ever heard there were issues with using on board sata ports..