Parity lost after reboot, missing drive (same drive but name has changed after a reboot)

I was having problems with some of the pages in unraid so I rebooted and except I when it came back up I my parity disk says "wrong". Its trial install of unraid that that I started to build parity 9 days days. Parity finished and everything was fine until I rebooted just now. The drive is a WD elements that I plugged into the server to test and make sure it was functioning before shucking the drive. Drive worked fine so I shucked it and installed it in my server. I didnt want any issues like I am having now so I made sure to only build parity after the drive was shucked.

It seems like unraid is confusing the drive with before I shucked it(weird) 

If anyone has an idea that allows me to safely restore my parity that would be awesome as I really dont want to stress my drives any more than I need to 

Screenshot (170).png

media-center-diagnostics-20240222-0106.zip

Edited by ksullivan86

Of course its gonna have a different "name"/identifier if you use it though usb controller beforehand. Not all usb-sata controller are transparent and the WD-Element build in control boards are clearly changing the drive identification.

you could check "parity is already valid" and then run a parity check afterwards. If it passes it passes, worst case, you have to fix parity. Because im sure you dont wanna put the drive back into the usb enclosure.

The take away from this incident is, you can "stresstest" aka preclear, a drive while its in the enclosure to see if its a dud, but if you wanna integrate it, you should shuck it and attach it via sata directly to avoid such hassles in the future

I shucked the drive and installed in to the server before the parity. I know the boards on the elements can change drive details so I made sure it was just the bare drive before I started to build parity. I basically did exactly what you suggested except I didn't preclear because I read that unraid does this automatically now but I did test the drive in the enclosure and then properly installed the drive.

super lame, this is clearly a bug

yeah IDK the flash drive is a newer one but I haven't noticed any issues with it that I can tell(idk if I could even tell). I rebuilt the parity and have rebooted a few times and now upgraded to 6.12.8, hopefully this never happens again but it was really annoying. Hopefully the dev team will dive into the diagnostic files and see whatever happened and fix the issue if this not the flash drive.