Which Pentium 775 - Single core or dual core ?

Berg

Well, I have given up using the DFI boards that I had and ordered the trusted ASUS P5B-VM, but now I have to pick which processor to use.

Here are my "budget" choices - Should I use an Intel Celeron D 356 3.33 Ghz S775 533, or should I go for an Intel Celeron E1200 Dual Core 1.66 Ghz S775 800 Fsb ?

I realize that the current release of unRAID does not use both cores of a dual core, but is the dual core fast enough for now running using only one core, and then I will benefit from the dual core and faster fsb once dual core is supported or should I get the faster single core ?

What's you experience/opinion ?

Thanks.

I got a cheapie dual core just for future-proofing.  It was something like $60.

If at some point either Unraid can take advantage of it or I have addition jobs running on the server, I will feel better about having the slightly more robust engine in the car.

Bill

Intel Celeron D 356 Cedar Mill 3.33GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 Single-Core Processor - $52.99

vs

Intel Celeron E1200 1.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - $57.99

vs

Intel Pentium E2140 Allendale 1.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - $69.99

Well I always choose the highest CPU I can afford at the time for the usage.

This way maybe one day it gets placed in another use.

If we were cruncing numbers in many loops, The faster processor would win out.

Frankly, many operations require moving data from location to location and operating on it (XOR) rather then allotp of loops of the same data.

Therefore you want the fastest FSB speed you can afford.

A larger cache always helps too. More data is closer to the CPU.

Then take into consideration how much you may need for the machine to grow. I.E. memory and such.

The Allendale would support 64 bit in the future, just in case you wanted to increase memory past the 4gb mark(providing your motherboard could support it).

I know dual core support is slated for a future unraid update. So being prepared now, may help you later.