Unraid 6.12.8 - How to replace array disks with larger drives

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi, I currently have 2 x WD RED 4TB drives in use for my array. 1 of the drives is parity, the other is used solely for the array. Not withstanding the fact there is only one drive in the array (I'm fine with this, and dont have any additional space in the physical tower for additional 3.5" drives) could someone outline the steps to erase the existing array disks and replace them with 2 new Seagate IronWolf NAS 16TB drives - I intend to have the same 1 x parity disk, and 1 x array disk.

Stretch-goal: If I can do it without having to delete the data on the 1 x disk that is used for the array then so much the better but its not essential as I can migrate the data if needed.

I have downloaded the pre-clear unraid unassigned devices plugin, so assume I could use this to erase the disks

Thanks in advance

• Solution

Replacing disks to increase capacity is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

Note that you have to upgrade the parity disk first as no data drive can be larger than the smallest parity drive.

Also, you do not have to erase the disks first as the procedure overwrites every sector on the drives anyway.   The only reason to run a preclear would be to carry out a stress test of the drives.

1 minute ago, harrisonmeister said:

What about the drives I am removing? How can I ensure they have no data from my unraid device still left on them?

If you want to clear them after replacing them then pre-clear can do the job.    You would only need the write cycle for this.    However keep them intact until you have checked that a replacement appears to have completed without error as this gives you a fallback if problems are encountered.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you want to clear them after replacing them then pre-clear can do the job.    You would only need the write cycle for this.    However keep them intact until you have checked that a replacement appears to have completed without error as this gives you a fallback if problems are encountered.

Awesome, many thanks!