Server timeout / becomes inaccessible.

Go to solution Solved by tophat17,

Hello Unraid Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek assistance with a persistent issue I've been facing recently, and I'm hoping some experienced members of the community can provide insights or solutions.

Issue Summary:
My server, post-upgrade from a 4th gen Intel chip to Ryzen 5th gen, has been encountering frequent lockups and becoming unresponsive. This problem is particularly noticeable when attempting to access the web UI or SSH connections. I am unable to log in, and even if I manage to, the docker containers disappear. When trying to reboot the server through the web UI, no results are yielded, and a physical power cycle is required for the server to become usable again.

Details:

Unable to log into the server; both web UI and SSH connections time out.
Web UI becomes unresponsive after entering the correct credentials.
Server freezes entirely from time to time, especially observed in the afternoon on 2/29.
Issue started after upgrading from a 4th gen Intel chip to Ryzen 5th gen.
Difficulty in rebooting the server; timeouts occur, and the web UI is unresponsive. Docker containers are hidden, but background processes continue to function.
All docker containers disappear from the Unraid dashboard, but access to the apps with web ports remains possible.

Timeline:
The problem became apparent after migrating to the Ryzen 5th gen processor, suggesting a potential correlation. The server's behavior is inconsistent, making it challenging to pinpoint the exact cause.

Request for Help:
I'm reaching out to the Unraid community in the hope that someone might have encountered a similar issue or has the expertise to guide me through diagnosing and resolving this problem. I appreciate any insights, suggestions, or solutions that you can offer.

Steps Taken So Far:
I have attempted to troubleshoot the issue by restoring my system to a backup build of the server from one week ago, but the problem persists.

Your assistance in resolving this matter is greatly appreciated. If you need any additional information or logs, please let me know, and I'll provide them promptly.

Thank you in advance for your time and support!

gpn-server-diagnostics-20240302-1505.zip

On 3/3/2024 at 4:57 AM, JorgeB said:

make sure this is taken care of:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=819173

If issues persist enable the syslog server and post that after a crash.

@JorgeB Thanks, I'll try disabling C-States in the bios and removing my XMP profile from 3600mhz to 2933mhz and see if that addresses system stability. 

If the issue persists ill follow-up on this thread. Thanks. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, tophat17 said:

The solution to increase the stability of my server was to disable c-states in the bios and to cap my Memory from 3600mhz to 3200mhz. 

Technically, you should actually run the memory at 2133MTs not 3200.  2133 is the actual speed of the memory https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/326/1562840073/F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC-Specification, and anything over that is an overclock and all overclocks introduce instability.