[SOLVED] resuming "screen" during preclear after PC reboot

I'm in the middle of a preclear operation. I needed to reboot my PC. In the past after rebooting I just typed in "screen -r" to re-attach to screen to monitor the preclear operation.

This time I got the following results when typed that in either from the root or the boot directory.

Tower login: root

Linux 2.6.32.9-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# cd /boot

root@Tower:/boot# screen -r

There are several suitable screens on:

3471.pts-0.Tower        (Detached)

3453.pts-0.Tower        (Detached)

Type "screen [-d] -r [pid.]tty.host" to resume one of them.

root@Tower:/boot#

root@Tower:/boot# cd ..

root@Tower:/# screen -r

There are several suitable screens on:

3471.pts-0.Tower        (Detached)

3453.pts-0.Tower        (Detached)

Type "screen [-d] -r [pid.]tty.host" to resume one of them.

root@Tower:/#

The only thing I can think that might be different from previous preclears is I have installed a ups and installed apcupsd. But in any event I don't seem to understand the syntax that the terminal is suggesting. I've tried several guesses but don't seem to understand what it wants. Can someone tell me what I need to type in to resume screen on my PC. I can see from the indicator lights on the server that the preclear operation is still ongoing, I last got an email from it about and 1 and half ago, so I should be ready for a new email before too long.

Thanks.

I just found myself in a similar situation - basically it means that you still have two active screens running, so typing "screen -r" will return the message that you've already seen asking you to specify which screen you'd like to return to. If you had only one screen active, "screen -r" would indeed take you directly to that active screen.

To fix my issue I was able to type: screen -r [name of session you want to return to]

In your case it looks like that would be:

screen -r 3471.pts-0.Tower (for the first screen)

or

screen -r 3473.pts-0.Tower (for the second)

In my case, after checking both I figured out which screen was running my active preclear and exited the other one (turns out it was left open from a preclear about a month ago that I'd forgotten to terminate at the time). From then on I was able to return to my current preclear screen to check progress by simply using "screen -r". Hope this helps you!

Thanks. Unfortunately by the time I got home and saw this reply, preclear had failed. I still typed in what you suggested and did get a preclear screen back. Unfortunately, when I selected the text and hit ctrl-c to copy it to a text file, it apparently exited. Now I can't grab what it said. I'm going to post the syslog to a new thread to see if someone can help me diagnose this problem and another I seem to be having.

Thanks

Archived