Installing unMENU to existing 4.7: Issues and questions......

Sorry if these are real noob questions, but I am a real noob when it comes to Linux

The Objective: To install unMENU to an existing 4.7 unRAID array

First question:

My unRAID server does NOT have internet access, but it appears the initial unMENU install file is simply a download/installer that will connect to server to dl and install the latest unMENU release, and after unMENU is installed the same file checks for and installs updates. My setup as far as internet access is described here- Long story short, my internet access for my main/media PC is through PCI wireless card. My unRAID server is connected to my main/media PC by the wired LAN port, on a different subnet. So my main/media PC has internet access, my unRAID server does not.

next question:

on the unRAID install instructions HERE:

To install this on an unRAID server Create a /boot/unmenu directory

mkdir /boot/unmenu

Download the unmenu_install zip file. Unzip and move unmenu_install to the /boot/unmenu directory.

Then

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install -i -d /boot/unmenu

If you already have an older unmenu version installed type

unmenu_install -u

To check an existing installation for available updates, type

unmenu_install -c

To start unmenu running, invoke it as

/boot/unmenu/uu

or

cd /boot/unmenu

./uu

Once running you can view the unMENU pages in your web-browser by browsing to

//tower:8080

If you had a prior version of unMENU running, you'll need to restart it to see the new version. This will typically do it:

killall awk

/boot/unmenu/uu

does this all have to be done from the unRAID command line from the server itself? Or can I do this from WinXP file explorer since my unRAID's flash drive is exported? In other words, can I just go to the flash share on my mainPC, create a directory:

/boot/unmenu

then move the unmenu_install file to that directory.

Thank you for any help and advice.

if you do not have internet access from your unRAID server, the unmenu_install program will be useless to you.

The only way for you to install unMENU without it is for you to download and install all the files found in the unMENU source tree.

Easiest on your PC would be for you to install "svn" on your PC (I use tortoise svn) and use it to download the entire source tree to a folder named unmenu on your PC.  Then, move the entire tree to your unRAID server's flash drive.

Alternatively, as tedious as it will be, you can download the individual files as listed here:

http://unraid-unmenu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/release_list

(note, this release_list is as of today and move them to the flash drive to their respective)

The alternative to all this is to set up internet sharing on your PC so the unRAID server does have access to the internet through the PC.

if you do not have internet access from your unRAID server, the unmenu_install program will be useless to you.

The only way for you to install unMENU without it is for you to download and install all the files found in the unMENU source tree.

Easiest on your PC would be for you to install "svn" on your PC (I use tortoise svn) and use it to download the entire source tree to a folder named unmenu on your PC.  Then, move the entire tree to your unRAID server's flash drive.

I am such a noob that I have no idea what svn is (google here I come!) or where the source tree is to dl.

Alternatively, as tedious as it will be, you can download the individual files as listed here:

http://unraid-unmenu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/release_list

(note, this release_list is as of today and move them to the flash drive to their respective)

I think I'll pass on this option :o

The alternative to all this is to set up internet sharing on your PC so the unRAID server does have access to the internet through the PC.

I think I'll probably try this one, depending on what google and you guys tell me on the svn and source tree dl. So If I go this option, the question remains:

Sorry if these are real noob questions, but I am a real noob when it comes to Linux

on the unRAID install instructions HERE:

To install this on an unRAID server Create a /boot/unmenu directory

mkdir /boot/unmenu

Download the unmenu_install zip file. Unzip and move unmenu_install to the /boot/unmenu directory.

Then

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install -i -d /boot/unmenu

If you already have an older unmenu version installed type

unmenu_install -u

To check an existing installation for available updates, type

unmenu_install -c

To start unmenu running, invoke it as

/boot/unmenu/uu

or

cd /boot/unmenu

./uu

Once running you can view the unMENU pages in your web-browser by browsing to

//tower:8080

If you had a prior version of unMENU running, you'll need to restart it to see the new version. This will typically do it:

killall awk

/boot/unmenu/uu

does this all have to be done from the unRAID command line from the server itself? Or can I do this from WinXP file explorer since my unRAID's flash drive is exported? In other words, can I just go to the flash share on my mainPC, create a directory:

/boot/unmenu

then move the unmenu_install file to that directory.

Easiest on your PC would be for you to install "svn" on your PC (I use tortoise svn) and use it to download the entire source tree to a folder named unmenu on your PC.  Then, move the entire tree to your unRAID server's flash drive.

I am such a noob that I have no idea what svn is (google here I come!) or where the source tree is to dl.

See here: http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/source/checkout

and here: http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

or here:

http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

Archived