Parity Device Disabled After HBA issues

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi All!

So I had something really odd happen with my server earlier today.  I was in unraid and then all of the sudden a bunch of disks started to have issues, including the parity drives.  I shut down the server and then went to investigate.  I found that one of my HBAs' heatsink had fallen off! It looks like the plastic pushpins that hold on the heatsink deteriorated and then broke off.. I found the heatsink dangling!  I'm like that's not good!  So, I had some long screws with some paper washers and then fixed it up.. I cleaned up the heatsink and then reapplied the thermal grease and put everything back in.. it worked!

The issue now is that all the drives seem to be fine except for the two parity drives.  They both say "Parity Device is Disabled" with red X's next to them.  I did verify that the drives are "online", like unraid is seeing them, but the parity is disabled.. I'm guessing that there were just too many disconnections due to the HBA failure.  How can I put the parity back on?  Do I need to do a new config with everything in it's place and then put parity back in again?  

Thanks

Jack

• Solution

The following will work:

• Stop array
  • unassign parity drives
  • start array to commit change and make Unraid 'forget' current parity assignments.
  • stop array
  • assign parity drives
  • start array to commit changes and rebuild parity drives.

Another (but slightly riskier) option would be:

• Stop array
  • Use Tools->New Config with the option to keep all current assignments
  • Return to Main tab and check Parity is Valid checkbox
  • Start array - despite warning this parity will not be built as you ticked the checkbox.

This is obviously much faster but if parity is NOT valid then you will not be able to rebuild a future failed drive until you have run a parity check with the option to write corrections to parity ticked.

Thank you!! I did the first one because I'm sure there would have been some weirdness with parity with the HBA going offline the way it did.  It screwed up one of my mysql db's, but I have backups, so I'm not worried.  Thank you again for the help!

Jack