Drive detected on boot, but not shown in unraid

tyrindor

Trying to fix a friends server. It was working fine, but after a rebuild it no longer detects a drive. During boot it shows all 20 drives, it only shows 19 in unRAID. He is using the exact same drives/hardware as me, and mine is fine. Everything is exactly the same. Sometimes when his unRAID starts it hangs on his 2nd PCI card after detecting the first drive, then restarting it works correctly. This also doesn't happen on mine.

Here's the catch: Putting the drive in another hotswap bay and the drive detects fine, all 20 drives do. So why is unraid refusing to see the drive when it's on it's correct SATA port, even when the boot menu shows it?

Case: Norco 4224

Data Drives: 2TB Western Digital Greens, 3TB Western Digital Greens

Sata Cards: 3x SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X7SBE

Power Supply: 850W Corsair HX850W

Operating System: unRAID 5.0 12a

Syslog is of a boot where it didnt detect the drive. Here's what I notice

Nov 11 02:29:33 thefiles kernel: ata10: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)

Nov 11 02:29:33 thefiles kernel: ata10.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x2)

Nov 11 02:29:33 thefiles kernel: ata10: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)

Nov 11 02:29:33 thefiles kernel: ata10: SRST failed (errno=-16)

Nov 11 02:29:33 thefiles kernel: ata10: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)

Nov 11 02:29:33 thefiles kernel: ata10.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x2)

Nov 11 02:29:33 thefiles kernel: ata10: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps

Nov 11 02:29:33 thefiles kernel: ata10: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)

Nov 11 02:29:33 thefiles kernel: ata10: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)

Nov 11 02:29:33 thefiles kernel: ata11: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)

syslog.txt

So the drive works in another bay?

And other drives work in bay that the 'faulty' drive doesn't work in?

Other drives do not work in the "faulty" bay. However, the BIOS detects them.. unRAID produces an error and won't detect it. I ended up moving all his drives down to hotbay swaps 5-24, since unRAID only has support for 20 data drives anyway. Though I feel my friend should really get that hotswap bay replaced, since anything faulty can cause other problems.

I'm just puzzled on how the BIOS/Startup detects the drive.. but unRAID fails too. I'd hate to RMA a part of the case, just to get the same results. I will check his wiring tomorrow to make sure all connections are solid.

Other drives do not work in the "faulty" bay. However, the BIOS detects them.. unRAID produces an error and won't detect it. I ended up moving all his drives down to hotbay swaps 5-24, since unRAID only has support for 20 data drives anyway. Though I feel my friend should really get that hotswap bay replaced, since anything faulty can cause other problems.

I'm just puzzled on how the BIOS/Startup detects the drive.. but unRAID fails too. I'd hate to RMA a part of the case, just to get the same results. I will check his wiring tomorrow to make sure all connections are solid.

The BIOS just detects the presence of that drive, it does not do much else with it.  unRAID has to detect the drive, mount it, read from it, write to it, etc.

This sounds like a faulty backplane and the only way you are going to fix it is to have that backplane replaced.

The BIOS just detects the presence of that drive, it does not do much else with it.  unRAID has to detect the drive, mount it, read from it, write to it, etc.

This sounds like a faulty backplane and the only way you are going to fix it is to have that backplane replaced.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks, i'll have him contact Norco.

Archived