Quick question regarding Split-Level

Swixxy

Hey guys, just a quick question. I Recently filled up all of my drives and have just added another drive to the array, all went through with no problems.

However, i currently have my split-level setting for TV shows set at 2

TV

-Show Name

--Season Number

---Episode.ext

However, as the other drives are full (all showing as zero free space in unraid) will i need to move the Season folders for the shows that are still updating to my new drive? Or will unraid see that the drive with the correct season is full and so create the TV/Show Name/Season Number/ folder on another drive and fill it that way as a fail-safe?

If not, is there any way to enable this? I Love split-level as i tend to watch a few episodes of a show at a time, meaning the other drives can remain spun down - However if a drive fills up, i'd like it to be able to put the files onto a drive that is empty as a failsafe, rather than just not moving it.

Is this the case?

Thanks

I think you mean split level and no, unraid won't split a season to a new disk with the level at 2 and there is no way to automatically fix it. Just copy the new seasons for the active shows to the new disk and it will keep working.

Not sure what you mean by a failsafe as unRAID only does what the settings tell it to do.

Peter

Yes i mean split-level sorry. Edited.

I just mean while the idea behind split level is a great idea as generally you don't want to spin up 2 disks just to watch one thing, if the disk that the split level is saying to use is full, then I think there should be an option to have it split across to another disk.

My problem:

My TV shows automatically get added to different disks, if i have 10 active shows on the same disk then by the time the disk fills up, some shows are still airing meaning their episodes are left on the cache disk with nowhere to go, as the disk is full. Somebody must have had this problem also?

The only way to fix it is manually move the TV show folders across, which means checking every show folder to see which season folder it contains, and whether theres any new episodes and if so, moving it to a different drive. That's a lot of effort every time a drive fills, and with more drives = even more time consumed going through them

Yes i mean split-level sorry. Edited.

I just mean while the idea behind split level is a great idea as generally you don't want to spin up 2 disks just to watch one thing, if the disk that the split level is saying to use is full, then I think there should be an option to have it split across to another disk.

My problem:

My TV shows automatically get added to different disks, if i have 10 active shows on the same disk then by the time the disk fills up, some shows are still airing meaning their episodes are left on the cache disk with nowhere to go, as the disk is full. Somebody must have had this problem also?

The only way to fix it is manually move the TV show folders across, which means checking every show folder to see which season folder it contains, and whether theres any new episodes and if so, moving it to a different drive. That's a lot of effort every time a drive fills, and with more drives = even more time consumed going through them

What I have done in the past is to take an entire program, all seasons and move it to another drive so that the drives are not that close to being full, that way I can keep seasons on the same drive.

This is what i'm doing at the moment, however i have about 100~ TV shows, so moving them around takes quite a lot of time! Just seems silly that there is no 'ignore Split-Level if drive is full' option in unraid, would just be an if statement more or less in the code - Yet would remove the need for me to manually move files about every few months to avoid my cache drive filling up

You say you like the split level and keeping seasons together yet what you are describing is allowing files to go where there is free space.  ??? ???  Make a choice, which way do you want it?

You can set the split level high (like 99), set the allocation method to fill-up and set a minimum free space that is more than the largest file you will ever transfer to the server and you will get what you described.  Once the currently in use disk is full the files will go to the next disk in line.

Peter

Hey guys, just a quick question. I Recently filled up all of my drives and have just added another drive to the array, all went through with no problems.

However, i currently have my split-level setting for TV shows set at 2

TV

-Show Name

--Season Number

---Episode.ext

However, as the other drives are full (all showing as zero free space in unraid) will i need to move the Season folders for the shows that are still updating to my new drive? Or will unraid see that the drive with the correct season is full and so create the TV/Show Name/Season Number/ folder on another drive and fill it that way as a fail-safe?

If you set your split level to 3 it can create the season folder on the new drive that has space and you will not have to move anything.

If not, is there any way to enable this? I Love split-level as i tend to watch a few episodes of a show at a time, meaning the other drives can remain spun down - However if a drive fills up, i'd like it to be able to put the files onto a drive that is empty as a failsafe, rather than just not moving it.

Only the drive on the episode you are watching will spin up. If you watch two episodes one after another on two drives the second drive will spin up during the second episode and the first will spin down after whatever time out you have set. I changed mine from the default 1 hour to 15 minutes because of the way I do things. I tend to do things in batches, so if I have not accessed the drive in 15 minutes I am probably done with what I was doing.

Thanks

Archived