Should all user shares be set to private?

I'm working on prepping my server security so I can expose Plex in order to enable remote access (slowly working towards configuring a reverse proxy).  Combing through the site led me to security suggestions about user shares, and I'm still not super knowledgeable about what should and shouldn't be public/private/secure.  Should everything be private, or should I only be setting new user-created shares that I want to prevent unauthorized access to to private and leaving shares like system alone?

I can attach logs of what my current settings are (I've made a few changes from default) if needed, but I'm mostly just hoping for clear, concise recommendations.

6 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

leaving shares like system alone?

You can always make shares like 'system' not visible over the network by not setting them to be exported.   If set that way then the different security options are not relevant.   Those settings anyway only apply to network access and you should never have your Unraid server directly exposed to the internet so they then only apply to local LAN users.

The services you intend to expose over the internet need to be individually configured for security.