Replace Behavior

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have an SSD cache with spindle drives behind it. Network connection is 10g. 

What I am observing is that if I copy movie.mkv to unraid to a folder that already has movie.mkv over SMB and choose to replace the existing file the transfer will write the file to the share disk as opposed to the cache drive if the file did not exist already. 

I see the performance drop very quickly during the copy in this manner. From 500/MBs on cache to 70-100/MBs on share disk. This has been happening all along and I am just now getting around to asking about it. Usually what I have been doing is removing the old files first so that I can take advantage of the 10g network and SSD write performance. Being able to just say, yeah replace the existing would be even better.

Edited by Defuse
1 hour ago, Defuse said:

What I am observing is that if I copy movie.mkv to unraid to a folder that already has movie.mkv over SMB and choose to replace the existing file the transfer will write the file to the share disk as opposed to the cache drive if the file did not exist already. 

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

Unraid has always worked this way - overwriting existing files in place.    It is only NEW files that can be cached.

@Defuse, The few times I have been in this situation what I do is to delete the file first.  The Dynamix File Manager is idea for this type of work.  Then, when you copy the file to Unraid, it will end up on the cache drive.