Disk failure

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Been running unraid for a while and everything been running really well.

last few days seems one of my disk in the array is failing, lots of SMART errors

Its a 2 disk + 1 parity array.

if I just pull the faulty disk out can I get by while I arrange its replacement?

55 minutes ago, m0dded said:

last few days seems one of my disk in the array is failing, lots of SMART errors

What type of SMART errors?

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread. It is always a good idea when asking questions to supply your diagnostics so we can see details of your system, how you have things configured, and the current syslog.   Also which drive are you talking about?

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

What type of SMART errors?

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread. It is always a good idea when asking questions to supply your diagnostics so we can see details of your system, how you have things configured, and the current syslog.   Also which drive are you talking about?

Sorry currently overseas so a bit tricky to connect and get diagnostics zip

will try to get it soon.

Basically I have an array:

disk1 - data

disk2 - data

disk3 - parity

these are sata drives and there are smart errors reported on disk 1

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   096   096   010    -    19368
197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--C-   100   100   000    -    56
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----C-   100   100   000    -    56

These definitely do not look good so the disk should be replaced.

4 hours ago, m0dded said:

if I just pull the faulty disk out can I get by while I arrange its replacement?

You should be able to as it looks as though disk1 is being emulated successfully by the combination of disk2 + parity.  Note that if another array drive fails before a successful replacement you could end up with data loss, so what is the state of your backups?  Surprised, also, by how little data there is on your drives as you say it has been running Unraid for some time.

37 minutes ago, itimpi said:
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   096   096   010    -    19368
197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--C-   100   100   000    -    56
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----C-   100   100   000    -    56

These definitely do not look good so the disk should be replaced.

You should be able to as it looks as though disk1 is being emulated successfully by the combination of disk2 + parity.  Note that if another array drive fails before a successful replacement you could end up with data loss, so what is the state of your backups?  Surprised, also, by how little data there is on your drives as you say it has been running Unraid for some time.

Yes thank you. Not much data on those sata disks as was planning to setup a few things that I never gotten around to do. The only data there is are iso's so not really worried about the data on there.

Thanks again for your help will organize getting the disk replaced under warranty.