VM Error (vdisk size issue)

I have a windows 11VM on a dedicated 1TB SSD. For some reason. The VM keeps freezing and the free space shows 16KB on the drive under shares, in the VM however it's only showing 630GB of used space. Why is the file size so much larger than the used size and why isn't it shrinking automatically and is there a way to shrink/compress the file manually?

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Is the drive passed through or does it hold a vdisk? if vdisk what's the set size?

It's set 

Primary vDisk Location: Auto

/mnt/user/domains/Windows 11/vdisk1.img

The img is on it's own ssd for only vm purpose.

Not sure if that answers the question.

31 minutes ago, dzyuba86 said:

But shouldn't it be doing this automatically already?

No.

16 minutes ago, dzyuba86 said:

I've gone into scheduler and ran TRIM. I got back no space on the vm drive. Out of ideas here and need this working as soon as possible.

You need to trim de vdisk by running Windows defrag, after making that change, trimming the SSD won't do anything.

You haven't answered what size the vdisk has been set to.

If the drive is 1TB but you've set the vdisk size to 2TB then the VM can attempt to write beyond the 1TB mark, which would require the vdisk becoming larger than 1TB, but it can't since the drive is 1TB.

The vdisk file itself will never shrink.

Edited by Kilrah
14 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You haven't answered what size the vdisk has been set to.

If the drive is 1TB but you've set the vdisk size to 2TB then the VM can attempt to write beyond the 1TB mark, which would require the vdisk becoming larger than 1TB, but it can't since the drive is 1TB.

The vdisk file itself will never shrink.

The vdisk was set to the same size as the drive. But now it's not booting due to the drive having 0 free space. Maybe I need a better setup solution and just recreate the VM from scratch again?

16 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

No.

You need to trim de vdisk by running Windows defrag, after making that change, trimming the SSD won't do anything.

The VM won't boot as the vm drive has 0 free space. Is there anything I can do besides getting a larger drive to fix this? Or do I need to re-create the VM from scratch?

33 minutes ago, dzyuba86 said:

The vdisk was set to the same size as the drive

Should always be set a bit smaller, or ideally since you're not going to share it with something else it should be passed through so there's no vdisk at all.

You can copy to array, though note you need more than 1TB free on the specific drive you're going to copy it to. 

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Should always be set a bit smaller, or ideally since you're not going to share it with something else it should be passed through so there's no vdisk at all.

You can copy to array, though note you need more than 1TB free on the specific drive you're going to copy it to. 

I have an 88TB array. I think I'll be good.

19 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I'm making a new VM. But I don't get an option to do a disk passthrough.

6 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If cp --sparse=always didn't shrink the vdisk, it means it's really using all that space, and that there are no holes/zeroes it can remove.

I even uninstalled a few things to bring the size down to less than 400GB used in windows, It's still showing as over 900GB.