Parity sync very slow

volcs0

Parity sync has been stuck around 700 minutes for several hours with very slow progress. It is going 19 MB/sec.

Below is a screenshot of my setup.

I'm using:

unraid-server-version-50-beta13-aio

My CPU and processor information are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939 Single-Core Processor ADA3200BPBOX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103535

MSI K9N Diamond AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130047

Syslog is attached.

One other odd thing I noted is that it is taking a very long time to boot the system. When I first set it up, it would boot from the USB stick in 10-20 seconds. Now it takes 1-2 minutes.

Some things I have not tried yet:

1. Reformatting the USB stick

2. Reformatting the parity drive

I've done some reading in the forum, but I've not yet found something that has helped.

Thanks for the advice.

20r01gw.png

syslog.txt.zip

Parity sync has been stuck around 700 minutes for several hours with very slow progress. It is going 19 MB/sec.

Below is a screenshot of my setup.

I'm using:

unraid-server-version-50-beta13-aio

My CPU and processor information are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939 Single-Core Processor ADA3200BPBOX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103535

MSI K9N Diamond AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130047

Syslog is attached.

One other odd thing I noted is that it is taking a very long time to boot the system. When I first set it up, it would boot from the USB stick in 10-20 seconds. Now it takes 1-2 minutes.

Some things I have not tried yet:

1. Reformatting the USB stick

2. Reformatting the parity drive

I've done some reading in the forum, but I've not yet found something that has helped.

Thanks for the advice.

20r01gw.png

Formatting the flash drive has nothing to do with its speed, however if accessed at USB 1.0 speeds, it will take a lot longer to boot.    

Advice... don't reformat it.

The parity drive does not have a file system on it, you can't re-format it, since it never was formatted ever.  

(you must stop thinking like this is a Microsoft product.  There, reformatting and replacement with Linux will often speed things up)

If it is going slower, typically either it is doing more, OR there are errors, and it is constantly re-initializing hardware to deal with it.

I see no errors in your syslog, so it could just be the speed of your hardware.   Are the disks being accessed through a PCI bus bottleneck?  That would do it.

One last point... your parity check speed is faster than on my older unRAID server.  It is PCI buss based. (PCIe did not yet exist when my older server was constructed)

Have you considered going through Bios and making sure that the non essential equiptment is disabled..... For example printer port, serial port, floppy port...... This can free up IRQ's this in turn will stream line the requests for proc time. also did you set the HD to ahci? Dont forget to make sure that the USB port is set to USB2 I usally read the help to make sure the jargon in the bios is not backwords. Hi speed veses Fast.

Hope this helps. 

Have you considered going through Bios and making sure that the non essential equiptment is disabled..... For example printer port, serial port, floppy port...... This can free up IRQ's this in turn will stream line the requests for proc time. also did you set the HD to ahci? Dont forget to make sure that the USB port is set to USB2 I usally read the help to make sure the jargon in the bios is not backwords. Hi speed veses Fast.

Hope this helps. 

You know, this is interesting.

Things worked well and fast when I only had 2-3 devices in the unRAID. When I added all seven drives (including the cache), I started getting this boot error, "Not enough space to copy PCI option ROM." When I googled around, I learned that the motherboard ROM was being filled before it found a boot disc. So, I disabled all the other devices in boot options except for the USB stick. When I got the same error, I started messing with the BIOS and I turned off something called NVidia LAN, and then it booted.

But I wonder if the secret to the slow boot times and the slow parity sync lies somewhere in the BIOS.

USB1/2 is definitely enabled. But I'll poke around in there for other options.

Not enough space to copy PCI option ROM. Means that there are too many bootable devices installed on the motherboard for your Bios, that is why when you diabled the Lan it started to work..... But if you just diable the boot options for the lan and reanable the lan it should also work. Make sure to disable the Floppy drive compleatly and if you know any other card that is installed or option for booting lets say on the Sata card disable it as well (not the card just the Boot options.....

Look to see if you have the newest Bios on your mother board it might have a fix for these issues.

Hope this helps

Archived