[HP Microserver] HELP - Is my flash drive corrupt???

Redstorm

Hello All

I really need some help here, pulling my hair out here!!

I came home from work tonight to find my HP Microserver switched off. Now I never switch it off and even my technophobe wife knows not to touch my 'toys'. So I pressesd the power button to switch the box on and the power light stayed orange. Puzzled, I gave it a nice firm press but slightly longer this time. Still nothing!! At this point I noticed the key for the front door had been removed and was sitting nicely in one of the front USB sockets!!!

After waterboarding the wife for an hour, it turns out she had a friend round this afternoon with two young kids. So I am guessing what happened is one of the darlings took the key out and decided to put it back in the USB socket. This, I think may have caused a short across the 5 volts and that may have shut the server down.

So I removed the mains lead at the rear and waited 30 seconds before replacing it, which resulted in the power light turning green immediately and the server booting (I was thinking I would have to press the power button first).

Anyway, long story short, unRAID boots OK (I think) and couch potato starts (which is installed to one of the hard drives) but ....

SAB starts but doesnt load the queue, citing an SQL error - SAB installs to RAM [/usr/local...] and stores config on the USB key

SickBeard doesnt start at all - Like SAB, SB installs to RAM and stores its confg on the USB flash drive.

I have posted my SYSLOG from the UTILS page in the SimpleFeatures add-on

My logic says that if the flash drive was corrupt, how would it boot in the first place. One thing I notice is that the Flash drive now appears to be sdd and I am fairly certain it used to be sda. This may be relavant as I am using WD green drives (may be advanced format). Looking at the log it says the clusters are corrupt and then quotes two adjacent numbers. I read somewhere that Andvanced Format drives move th starting cluster from 63 to 64 or something or could it be that once booted the server loads a config file from somewere that makes it re-map the flash drive??

Please someone help me. I bet the linux experts amongst you could proably fix this with a command line fix or tell me what to edit in a file somewhere. Sadly my linux know how is recently acquired and still quite limited.

HARDWARE

HP Microserver N36L

2 x 2TB WD Caviar GREEN drives

4 Gb Kingston Data Traveller USB key

SOFTWARE

unRAID v5.0 beta 13

SimpleFeatures add-on (speeding_ant)

SABnzbd, SickBeard & CouchPotato plugins (Benni Chan) - for simple features

DynDNS plugin for simple features

SYSLOG

unRAID_server_log_17112011.txt

Please clarify what you mean by

"Do a check disk with scan"?

I am running Winblows XP on a laptop that I can plug the USB key into. I ran CHKDSK from the cmd line but it showed no errors.

Whaqt else can I do?

The drive obviously is not corrupt as the server boots from it. The issue must be something to do with file permissions. But surely they are changeable from a command somewhere, no?

Is there not a chmod command for things like that?

I already have ran "CHKDSK" on a PC and it reported no errors!

I'd like to believe it was that but can't get my head round the question of how the server is booting at all IF the USB key is corrupt.

The other thing which I find odd is that its talking about the clusters bei ng corrupt and then quotes two adjacent clusters. This leads me to think that since the sd[a-z] allocations have changed, maybe there is some driver or software somewhere which normally handles the advanced format drives (like my WD EARX 2TB's) where the starting cluster moves from 63 to 64, and that software is trying to shift the data being read of the key by a block.

But as I said I am a noob so that why I am here - looking for help.

So what should I do to repair the key if CHKDSK isnt finding a problem with it. Or would that mean it is actually not corrupt. Could I just copy the entire contents of the key to a folder on my hard drive (in the PC) then reformat it and copy them all back again? Will that help?

Archived