Good or bad idea? RAID 0 ZFS pool in unRAID array with unRAID parity [SOLVED]

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

IIUC if I want snapshots of a share, I can format one array drive as zfs and limit the share to that drive. If I want more space than that, can I make a zpool out of two zfs drives in my unraid array? That way, I can snapshot the zpool and have a snapshot of the share even though the share is too big to fit on one drive. I wouldn't use RAIDZ and would rely on unraid's parity to give some protection. Is that a good idea?

Thanks!

Edited by NominallySavvyTechPerson
  • Solution
3 minutes ago, NominallySavvyTechPerson said:

IIUC if I want snapshots of a share, I can format one array drive as zfs and limit the share to that drive. If I want more space than that, can I make a zpool out of two zfs drives in my unraid array? That way, I can snapshot the zpool and have a snapshot of the share even though the share is too big to fit on one drive. I wouldn't use RAIDZ and would rely on unraid's parity to give some protection. Is that a good idea?

Thanks!

Nor possible.  Each drive in the main array is a free-standing file system.

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Nor possible.  Each drive in the main array is a free-standing file system.

Sorry, that went over my head.
I found this where someone talks about adding a zpool to the unraid array. I'm not trying to add a zpool to the array... wait, am I? I was thinking that there was a difference between adding a whole zpool of drives as if it were a single slot in unraid (not supported) vs what I want to do where I would fill two slots in unraid with two drives. Then, unknown to unraid, I can make a zpool out of the two drives.

2 minutes ago, NominallySavvyTechPerson said:

Sorry, that went over my head.
I found this where someone talks about adding a zpool to the unraid array. I'm not trying to add a zpool to the array... wait, am I? I was thinking that there was a difference between adding a whole zpool of drives as if it were a single slot in unraid (not supported) vs what I want to do where I would fill two slots in unraid with two drives. Then, unknown to unraid, I can make a zpool out of the two drives.

Unraid does not support a file system that spans more than one drive in the main array.

• NominallySavvyTechPerson changed the title to Good or bad idea? RAID 0 ZFS pool in unRAID array with unRAID parity [SOLVED]