Whats the best way to transfer 2TB from Ext3 hard drive to unRaid ??

Morning all, I'm a newb in the land of unRaid.

I have got my server up and running (hp micro server unRaid 4.7) and would like to transfer around 2TB of movies and tv programs from my Popcorn hour C200 to my fresh unRaid array. Both are Cat 6 wired through my switch but the main hurdle is the popcorn hour which uses EXT3 as drive format.

so this is what I have done so far :

Parity check has not been performed and is unassigned at the moment, from what I have read its best to leave it this way during a big transfer, also cache drive has been removed.

I have made some attempts but due to either the Popcorn hour having a fit due to the dodgy gigabit ethernet or the drives spindown in the array the transfer has failed. I have made adjustments on the back of this and things seem to be transferring for around 7 hours but highest transfer rate has been 8000 KB/s this is gonna take days.....

I have read about SNAP but a little bit lost in the command side of things. Is there a better, faster way to transfer from EXT3 to the array but ensuring that the data being transferred remains intact ?

Oh yeah I only have access to a Macbook

Many thanks for any help as this has been doing my head in

Right transfer crashed out again, full blame on the popcorn. Really need another options like mounting within the unraid array.

Please help

Morning all, I'm a newb in the land of unRaid.

I have got my server up and running (hp micro server unRaid 4.7) and would like to transfer around 2TB of movies and tv programs from my Popcorn hour C200 to my fresh unRaid array. Both are Cat 6 wired through my switch but the main hurdle is the popcorn hour which uses EXT3 as drive format.

so this is what I have done so far :

Parity check has not been performed and is unassigned at the moment, from what I have read its best to leave it this way during a big transfer, also cache drive has been removed.

I have made some attempts but due to either the Popcorn hour having a fit due to the dodgy gigabit ethernet or the drives spindown in the array the transfer has failed. I have made adjustments on the back of this and things seem to be transferring for around 7 hours but highest transfer rate has been 8000 KB/s this is gonna take days.....

I have read about SNAP but a little bit lost in the command side of things. Is there a better, faster way to transfer from EXT3 to the array but ensuring that the data being transferred remains intact ?

Oh yeah I only have access to a Macbook

Many thanks for any help as this has been doing my head in

Right transfer crashed out again, full blame on the popcorn. Really need another options like mounting within the unraid array.

Please help

you can mount an ext3 drive as ext2 in unRAID.

Alternatively, transfer the data in smaller amounts. I usually do this when I have to copy TB's of data- copying 2TB of data in one hit doesn't usually go down well unless you have decent transfer speeds. Either copy folders individually (Movies, TV, Docos, etc.) or copy them by every few letters (A-D,E-J,K-N..) 

Slightly longer process but easier to keep track of what has survived the depths of your LAN.

Thanks for the advice, I would like to go down the route of mounting it as ext2, I have tried this but think I've made a mistake by assigning the drive now when I try unassign I get a message that the drive missing and array cannot start the array without it??

Is there a way to remove the drive from the arrays memory as such ?

Could someone maybe confirm the steps to mount a ext3 drive as ext2 please as this command line stuff is unfamiliar ground.

Thanks for the advice, I would like to go down the route of mounting it as ext2, I have tried this but think I've made a mistake by assigning the drive now when I try unassign I get a message that the drive missing and array cannot start the array without it??

Is there a way to remove the drive from the arrays memory as such ?

Could someone maybe confirm the steps to mount a ext3 drive as ext2 please as this command line stuff is unfamiliar ground.

I hope you did not overwrite the old partitioning on your disk.    As far as I know, assigning a disk to the unRAID array will overwrite its old master boot record and its old partitioning. Before doing anything else with it, make sure it is still readable in your old media player. 

It probably will be, but I have no way of knowing how it was originally partitioned and how it is now after you assigned it to the unRAID array.  (Your data on it is still there, but the partitioning might not point to the correct start of the partition for the existing data)

Next, to remove the disk from the unRAID array you'll need to set a new disk configuration.

Stop the array... (un-assign the disk if not already un-assigned)

Then with the array stopped...

initconfig

answer "Yes" to its prompt.  (Capital "Y", lewer case "es")

This will immediately invalidate any parity calculation made based on the old disk configuration and set the new disk configuration.

Then, to mount the data disk outside of unRAID...

If you have unMENU installed, it will help tremendously.  As it has buttons on its disk management page to mount and unmount the disk.

If not you will have to create an empty directory to use as its mount point

mkdir /mnt/old_disk

Create a directory on unRAID's disk to hold the copy of the data

mkdir /mnt/disk1/movies

then mount the disk

mount -t ext2 -r /dev/sdX1 /mnt/old_disk

then type

mc

to invoke midnight commander to browse and copy the contents on /mnt/old_disk to /mnt/disk1/movies

when done coping the files, un-mount the disk by typing

umount /mnt/old_disk

(that is not a typo... it is umount, not unmount)

Joe L.

Its seem now I can't read the drive when I put it back into my popcorn hour... oopps lesson learned but thanks very much Joe for the detailed steps.

Think I will start from scratch again with my movies and re rip. Time consuming but don't think there is another way out of this mess I've made.

Its seem now I can't read the drive when I put it back into my popcorn hour... oopps lesson learned but thanks very much Joe for the detailed steps.

Think I will start from scratch again with my movies and re rip. Time consuming but don't think there is another way out of this mess I've made.

As I said earlier, the movies are still there, it is just the partition pointer that is not pointing to the wrong spot.

If you can find a description of how it is normally partitioned, you can fix it in a few minutes.

The problem is knowing the old partitioning...  A quick check and it seems that popcorn hour units have three partitions, with the data on the third, a swap partition on the second, and a OS partition on the first.

You only need to create one partition, pointing to the starting point of your data.  (challenge is to figure out where that point is for your size disk)

I hear what your saying jumperalex and I would love to learn but I've had this server now for 2 weeks and not be able to do nothing with it, all I want is server to download to and stream to some media players.

I've now lost around 2TB of movies which is a downer but thats my inexperience with unraid and and serious lesson learned. Pre clear has been started so in around 24 hours time I've got a blank slate and will start the task of getting Sabnzbd installed, I feel groundhog day starting.

Archived