[Support] Unraid simple monitoring API

2 hours ago, The_Holocron said:

Okay, I'm clearly being dense today.

I keep getting this error:

text  error  warn  system  array  login  

2024/04/08 21:59:59 ERROR Cannot read conf.yml error="read /app/conf.yml: is a directory"

** Press ANY KEY to close this window ** 

I have a text file named "conf.yml" inside the folder "/mnt/user/appdata/unraid-simple-monitoring-api/conf.yml" and I get the error above. 

I tried to move it to "/mnt/user/appdata/unraid-simple-monitoring-api/" but same.

I am also having this issue. the instructions are not very clear. Have done both config.yml inside the config.yml folder as well as the main app/unraid-simple-monitoring-api/ folder

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Schwaby412 said:

I am also having this issue. the instructions are not very clear. Have done both config.yml inside the config.yml folder as well as the main app/unraid-simple-monitoring-api/ folder

I think there is an error in the container image and it's getting confused looking in a folder named "conf.yml".

5 hours ago, Schwaby412 said:

Go it running image.thumb.png.2771c43185b4eac4001a9ed71df8d910.png

remove the /config.yml at the end. 

While this works, it should not be necessary, you can mount files directly in Docker, which is what the default configuration does.

My configuration, which is the default, has:
- container path: /app/conf.yml
- host path: /mnt/user/appdata/unraid-simple-monitoring-api/conf.yml

Just make sure you restart the app once you have made sure that the file you specify in the mount binding exists.

The error "read /app/conf.yml: is a directory" is due to how Docker handles misconfigured mount points, if the host file/directory specified to be mounted at "/app/conf.yml" does not exist, Docker will create an empty directory in its place, and you will get this error, which I admit is not very helpful.

1 hour ago, NebN said:

While this works, it should not be necessary, you can mount files directly in Docker, which is what the default configuration does.

My configuration, which is the default, has:
- container path: /app/conf.yml
- host path: /mnt/user/appdata/unraid-simple-monitoring-api/conf.yml

Just make sure you restart the app once you have made sure that the file you specify in the mount binding exists.

The error "read /app/conf.yml: is a directory" is due to how Docker handles misconfigured mount points, if the host file/directory specified to be mounted at "/app/conf.yml" does not exist, Docker will create an empty directory in its place, and you will get this error, which I admit is not very helpful.

I think the issue is that when the template runs with the default settings, it is creating a folder named "conf.yml" at /mnt/user/appdata/unraid-simple-monitoring-api/ because the "conf.yml" file doesn't exist.

In my opinion, it would be better to just point to the folder, rather than the file directly. I would change it to:
- container path: /app
- host path: /mnt/user/appdata/unraid-simple-monitoring-api

or

- container path: /app/config
- host path: /mnt/user/appdata/unraid-simple-monitoring-api/config

But. I will try the notes above and let you know if it works.

UPDATE: The default settings work on restart, but you have to delete the erroneous "conf.yml" folder that the template automatically creates.

Edited by The_Holocron
update
1 hour ago, The_Holocron said:

UPDATE: The default settings work on restart, but you have to delete the erroneous "conf.yml" folder that the template automatically creates.

Copying my response from GitHub so it's visible to anyone else who might encounter this problem:

This is very interesting, I just completely uninstalled and reinstalled the app, while also removing the conf folder, and it does in fact create a folder named conf.yml upon first starting the app, which is certainly confusing. This is not something I had noticed in my testing so far.

I'll see what I can do to avoid this in future installations. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, The_Holocron said:

Cool. If you need to test something, let me know. Happy to help.

Works great otherwise. Any possibility of adding temperature attributes?

Temperature is tricky, but I'll see what's possible without having any software dependencies.