Cold boot attack susceptibility when using LUKS?

Go to solution Solved by user0777,

6 hours ago, user0777 said:

Does this mean my server is susceptible to a cold boot attack?

Not as I understand such attacks as the key would be lost when the reboot happens.   It has to be reloaded/entered every time the system boots as it is not persisted by Unraid across a reboot.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

Not as I understand such attacks as the key would be lost when the reboot happens.   It has to be reloaded/entered every time the system boots as it is not persisted by Unraid across a reboot.

Exactly so if you read material on cold boot attacks, stuff that’s in RAM does persist if you pull the power cord to a PC. You could then pull the LUKS key out of RAM. It does indeed seem susceptible

4 minutes ago, user0777 said:

Exactly so if you read material on cold boot attacks, stuff that’s in RAM does persist if you pull the power cord to a PC. You could then pull the LUKS key out of RAM. It does indeed seem susceptible

Looking at the description in more detail of what it takes to carry out such an attack I suspect that if you have someone with the capability to carry out this sort of attack having physical access to your server then you probably have much larger problems anyway!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, user0777 said:

I think you’ve misunderstood the meaning of Physical access maybe? Physical access means being in the same room as the server not necessarily while it is unlocked.

Yes, someone could enter while the server is not on, but then how do you usually start the server? you have to have some sort of password, physical, or an automated way to unlock it... right?

10 hours ago, user0777 said:

No, we are talking about the case when the server is already on but locked.

OK. 

Now you can just extract the key out of ram. Thats what you mean? And if it were encrypted, you couldnt do that.

But dont we have the same problem again, where comes the pw for the encrypted ram?