Basic license - external USB drive

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi all,

I have Basic license (already 5 disks in array and one ssd in pool) and I want to buy external ssd disk for backup purposes. I want to connect this drive to usb port on the motherboard.

Will this drive be counted as another devices in license limit?

• Solution
2 hours ago, maTTi said:

Will this drive be counted as another devices in license limit?

To clarify it will count if it is plugged in any time the array is started.   If it is plugged in when the array is already started then it does not count.

You have to decide the trade-off the inconvenience of having to make sure it is not plugged in every time the array is started vs the convenience of not having to worry about this by having a licence that allows for more drives.. 

10 minutes ago, johntk22 said:

No. an external SSD disk connected to USB port on the motherboard for backup purpose would no be counted toward the device limit of your basic license. The device limit typically refer to the number of disk in your array and does not include any external backup drives. 

Incorrect.

It is as itimpi said, any storage device (excluding the boot USB drive) connected when the array is started count towards the allowed limi (whether they are in the data array or not).

From the Unraid manual …

What is an attached storage device?

Attached storage devices refer to the total number of storage devices you are allowed to have connected to the server before starting the array, not counting the USB Flash boot device.

There are no other limitations in the software based on the license type. Non-storage devices such as GPUs do not count against the license tier limits.