Backups in the same box

Hi all,

Currently running an R730, 5x6tb disks set as zfs, and holding around 8tb of data currently.

I'd like to be able to (if possible) insert another disk, take a backup (using a disk format readable by other machines), and then store remotely... Refreshing this backup every month or so.

Is this possible? Any useful plugins to allow me to do this please? Just looking for options :)

Thanks!

Paul

10 hours ago, foo_fighter said:

why not use an external usb drive and unassigned devices?

Because the drive i am using (and already have) is an internal drive, and I have free Caddy space in my server... Rather than purchasing an external enclosue :)

On 3/28/2024 at 3:00 PM, itimpi said:

If the Caddy passes through to Unraid the drive serial number then it will work fine with Unassigned Devices.   It is easy using UD to set a script to run when the drive is inserted that could then do the backup.

Just thrown it in and it fully recognises the disk (passes the serial). Any chance you might be able to point me in the right direction so i can learn about how to set this up please @itimpi?? Many thanks!