Build advice for a Jonsbo N3 case

Hi all.

I'm sorry - I'm confused on a new level.

It has been ages when I was building a PC the last time, and for the past couple of times I have just gone to toms hardware and choosed the bang for the buck of the month PC that was in my budget.

Last time I had a hardware failure I ended up with a complete new system, because I accidentally ordered wrong parts that dident fit in my aging PC :P But hey - Now I have a complete new system that I can fool around with.

However. I'm tired of not having a dedicated NAS that does NAS things.

Therefore I want, with your help. I would like to build myself a new server build upon the Jonsbo N3 case, but I need some help in picking the required hardware.

I'm not to concerned with the speed of the NAS in terms of HDD speeds, but prefered that each drive could have its full speed, and not be cogged down due to a cheap HBA

I have 2 Unraid licences, a basic, and a plus. I plan on using the plus onto this build. The basic one I am using to fool around with, test bench you can call it.

My needs are as following.

Be able to utilize all 8 slots of the case.

CPU: I'm leaning towards the Intel N100, since its quite nice of its TDP and CPU mark.

Useage: Mainly dockers as,  Radarr, Sonarr, Deluge, etc. Nothing really heavy. no VMs in this machine

I would like if the mobo had a few M.2 slots, so I could use a HBA on one of them, and use the other M.2 as cache

I dont know of a site where I can compare diffrent hardware, eg sort and filter on my needs.

If you have any ideas on witch, motherboard, cpu, PSU and HBA to use - all help would be fantactic :D

Posted (edited)

I was looking into the Asrock N100DC-ITX motherboard, and came upon this video.

I think this guy solved my exact problem.

This motherboard has a passive N100 chip rated at 6Watt TDP, solderd onto it.

Its can be powered by a pico PSU, or a SFX PSU.

He uses a HBA in the M.2 slot to breakout to 6 drives, and with the 2x SATA slots on the motherboard, I count that to 8 SATA slots in total, perfect for this case

In total, this is an extremely affordable setup, ultra low power and with the N100 chip, its quite powerful all considered the 6Watt TDP.

Everything is on stock in EU aswell.

///EDIT Well, almost, the case is still in China, it seems, EST a 45 day wait, just ordered one tho :) 

For 4-500€, you will have a complete system with 32 gig of RAM, and with 8 bay hotswap

Edited by kimmer