How many dockers and VMs can I run with my configuration?

With a i5-11400?  A lot.  It isn't so much how many VM and docker containers you have installed and/or running.  It is more about how hard you are running those activities.  A Windows VM sitting idle or browsing the Internet doesn't need a lot of processing power.  Plex/Emby streaming a Direct Play video on your home LAN uses very little.  Playing a video game in Windows while transcoding several video streams, well that needs much more.

My biggest suggestion is to add some more DRAM to your system.  16GB is low if you are running VMs (especially Windows.  Would you run Win10/11 on bare metal with 4GB?).  32GB for the system is better.  I also added an inexpensive SSD to put my Domains and ISO shares - They run faster from SSD, and it saves space and wear and tear on my primary cache pool.

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2024 at 2:28 PM, ConnerVT said:

With a i5-11400?  A lot.  It isn't so much how many VM and docker containers you have installed and/or running.  It is more about how hard you are running those activities.  A Windows VM sitting idle or browsing the Internet doesn't need a lot of processing power.  Plex/Emby streaming a Direct Play video on your home LAN uses very little.  Playing a video game in Windows while transcoding several video streams, well that needs much more.

My biggest suggestion is to add some more DRAM to your system.  16GB is low if you are running VMs (especially Windows.  Would you run Win10/11 on bare metal with 4GB?).  32GB for the system is better.  I also added an inexpensive SSD to put my Domains and ISO shares - They run faster from SSD, and it saves space and wear and tear on my primary cache pool.

Thanks!!

This Unraid server is in the context of office and it is used for data storage at the moment. But to be more precise, this is actually what I'm planning to add:
> Unifi controller

> and maybe later one of those surveillance oriented docker containers like Shinobi (based on the great video from Spaceinvader One). 

> Tailscale

Your comments are great and much helpful as I'm separated more than 1000 kms from the server...

Edited by DavidTMT