Emulated drives

Unraid started copying files to an emulated drive.

I am moving about 80 TB worth of data from my PC and noticed that the system filled half of the other drives and now copies data to an emulated drive.

I had to remove one of the drives due to lack of SATA ports on an old motherboard that shares lanes with the m2, can someone please explain to me how the emulated drive works?

I will be able to add another 8 drives once my n305 motherboard arrives from China, is it safe to store my data on an emulated drive until then?

image.thumb.png.ba94792c59391343697b4c36f0b30bd4.png

UnraId emulates a drive using the combination of the other drives plus parity.   In effect all writes intended for the emulated drive make the same update to the parity drive that would have been made if the physical drive was still there.

Your data will be OK as long as you do not get another drive failing so that you have more failed drives then you have parity drives.   In such a case you could potentially lose all the data on the failed drives.

Are you sure the disabled drive has actually failed?    More often than not the reason a drive is disabled (because a write failed) it is nothing to do with the drive itself but is caused by cabling or power issues.   Running the extended SMART test on a disabled drive is a good way to determine if it has really failed.