Parity check seems stuck

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello,

I've scheduled a parity check to run every 3 months, running for 4 hours per day. Beginning of this month, the parity check started, but now it seems it is stuck somewhere in the middle.

This is not the first time this didn't work as planned. In fact, while manually started parity check always completed, the scheduled ones that only run for a few hours at a time never worked properly.

I've added screenshots of the scheduler settings, the parity check history, and the progress report from two consecutive days.

Any ideas how to make this work?

Best regards,

Rolf

EDIT: added diagnostic data as well.

diagnostics-20240404-0841.zip

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 08.36.34.png

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 22.45.31.png

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 08.34.33.png

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 08.35.17.png

Edited by Rolf Schäuble

According to your diagnostics the check is doing exactly what you set it to do.  Start at 4:00 am and pause at 8:00am until the next day!    I think you settings are wrong for when it should be started as you do not want to start it again every day during the first week.

You might want to consider using the Parity Check Tuning plugin to give you even more control over the checks.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

According to your diagnostics the check is doing exactly what you set it to do.  Start at 4:00 am and pause at 8:00am until the next day!    I think you settings are wrong for when it should be started as you do not want to start it again every day during the first week.

You might want to consider using the Parity Check Tuning plugin to give you even more control over the checks.

Ah, so it starts from the beginning each day? Makes sense; I totally misunderstood the settings 🤦‍♂️

So I guess I should configure it to start on a specific  weekday on the first week every 3 months; then it should do what I want.

Thanks for your help 😀

Edited by Rolf Schäuble
  • Solution
3 hours ago, Rolf Schäuble said:

Ah, so it starts from the beginning each day? Makes sense; I totally misunderstood the settings 🤦‍♂️

So I guess I should configure it to start on a specific  weekday on the first week every 3 months; then it should do what I want.

Thanks for your help 😀

Yes.    You need to carefully define the start time so it can only occur once during the lifetime of a check.

if you use the parity check plugin then you also get control over other types of long duration array operations.   It will still, however, expect you to get the start conditions right for scheduled parity checks.

Just checked: after fixing the scheduler settings, parity check now properly resumes instead of starting from the beginning.

I've now also installed the Parity Check Tuning Plugin. It's so nice being able to restart the server without also having to start all over with a parity check.