Mixing SATA and IDE

tinyblob

Hi guys,

I've recently built an unRAID box for myself. At the moment it's:

Motherboard: Asus P5B-VM DO

Processor: Intel Celeron 440 2.00GHz Socket 775 FSB800

RAM: Kingston 2x512MB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400

At the moment it's housed in an Antec Sonata case (nice and quiet, with excellent hard drive access).

For storage i've currently got three 1TB Western Digital RAID edition 2 hard drives. One of them acts as parity. They're SATA drives.

I have two 500gig Western Digital IDE drives that i'd like to add to the machine, but i'm worried that mixing the fast SATA drives with the slower IDE drives might cause some kind of slowdown.

Is this likely to happen? I know unRAID treats each drive independently, but you never know!

Hi guys,

I've recently built an unRAID box for myself. At the moment it's:

Motherboard: Asus P5B-VM DO

Processor: Intel Celeron 440 2.00GHz Socket 775 FSB800

RAM: Kingston 2x512MB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400

At the moment it's housed in an Antec Sonata case (nice and quiet, with excellent hard drive access).

For storage i've currently got three 1TB Western Digital RAID edition 2 hard drives. One of them acts as parity. They're SATA drives.

I have two 500gig Western Digital IDE drives that i'd like to add to the machine, but i'm worried that mixing the fast SATA drives with the slower IDE drives might cause some kind of slowdown.

Is this likely to happen? I know unRAID treats each drive independently, but you never know!

I just added (2) 750Gb PATA (7200RPM Seagate) drives to the 11 other SATA drives I had and notice no difference streaming movies from them.  I think it should be fine

Those Sonata are nice cases indeed (I have one ::))

If I'm correct those 1TB Raid Edition are GreenPower and SATA 1 (I don't see anything else on the site)

I don't know what model are those 500 GB, but given the capacity they still have to be quite recent, You might get some slowdown on write because of the parity calculation, but I don't think that they're speed is going to be an issue

Those Sonata are nice cases indeed (I have one ::))

They certainly are! I have two of the first version. I love them, but adding more drives means i'll need to buy a SATA backplane, which isn't exactly a cheap purchase :(

If I'm correct those 1TB Raid Edition are GreenPower and SATA 1

They are "GreenPower" (though i'm not entirely sure what that means). I didn't know they were SATA 1, but i'll take your word for it. I guess that means they're a bit slower than SATA II..  :-\

I don't know what model are those 500 GB, but given the capacity they still have to be quite recent,

They're 7200rpm 500GB IDE drives with 16MB cache (model: WD5000AAKB), still quite new.

You might get some slowdown on write because of the parity calculation, but I don't think that they're speed is going to be an issue

That was my worry, checking parity already takes a couple of hours..