My first rig is running but....

I finished my first server this weekend. I have 3x 1.5TB drives running 4 user shares and i couldn't be happier with it. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction?

Firstly I have got s3 sleep and have managed to get it to wake when my media server boots using a WOL packet. The problem is its a long winded affair to put it back to sleep when my media server shuts down (I have to boot my laptop up, telnet in, send the sleep command shut laptop down...). Is there any way i can get the server to go into s3 sleep after say an hour of the drives spinning down and/or the media server is no longer active?

How would i set the server up to do a weekly/fortnightly or monthly parity sync in the middle of the night?

I am also having trouble accessing the \\tower in the web browser. I have no problem accessing the ip address but I just cant get \\tower to work.  

I have tried to search for answers for these questions but all the answers i get back are totally not relevant.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

on my windows PC in the windows/system32/drivers/etc directory there is a text file called hosts in it I have put an entry for the IP adress that is associated with the name for the server and this seems to take care of finding the server by name. Don't know if that is the preferred method.

The hosts file will fix it, but is really just a work-around to the real problem. Adding the server to the hosts file will not help you if your server changes ip or you decide to change the name.

I have it working on my home network, and I believe the name resolution has to do with something called WINS, which is a sort-of dns feature on (mainly older) Windows networks

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728457%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Long story short, I ensured my unRAID server and all client Windows 7 machines were in the same network Workgroup and that seemed to do the trick. The entire truth is probably more convoluted than that. I changed my unRAID server's name, but I had to force my clients to flush their DNS cache before it worked again:

ipconfig /flushdns.

Hope this helps.

Archived