Unraid is Good But....

Go to solution Solved by serpro,

I'm happy I bought the Pro license proactive before the change; but activated later. As I was not sure which way I would go took that little risk. Eventually I know that software development/maintenance cost money and pay a bit is ok for me. Even after the change I would consider the license as not too expensive for a one-time-payment. Burned by the free ESXi debacle or CentOS death by RH. I understood that I didn't bought Lime with my license but hope it keep them motivated to continue working on their product for years to come. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2024 at 6:34 AM, serpro said:

OMG, I just discovered that the pricing has changed...

How did I not see this announcement a few months ago while I was still evaluating my options is beyond me, and now the price of joining the unraid club makes me rethink my options altogether and I'm back to square one; only now the dilemma is - pay a ton of money for the license or go with the free stuff that's out there but which doesn't 100% meet my needs.

Stumbling upon this has made ruined my day xD

Lol, I had the same experience. I was just starting the project and evaluating TrueNas VS Unraid. 
I looked at the original license prices and was going to pick one up, but i decided to try TrueNas first (my equipment delivery was staggered and I wanted to be a nerd and build the hard one first lol).
A week later the price had changed. 
Oops.  

I have been comparing them now for a month or so (trial), and I can do basically the same thing with both. 

The storage options are a winning feature for me though. I have so many old drives floating around at home. 
I see the cost for unlimited as basically the cost of another drive. A pain, but not the end of the world. 

Still I saw a post that said that it will likely go on sale over the summer so while I do intend to purchase eventually, I have one fully functional NAS running TrueNas already, so I will wait patently and see if that comes to fruition first. 
That being said, Devs, Fathers day is a great time to have a sale. ;-)

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2024 at 6:29 PM, MadMaverickMatt said:

Lol, I had the same experience. I was just starting the project and evaluating TrueNas VS Unraid. 
I looked at the original license prices and was going to pick one up, but i decided to try TrueNas first (my equipment delivery was staggered and I wanted to be a nerd and build the hard one first lol).
A week later the price had changed. 
Oops.  

I have been comparing them now for a month or so (trial), and I can do basically the same thing with both. 

The storage options are a winning feature for me though. I have so many old drives floating around at home. 
I see the cost for unlimited as basically the cost of another drive. A pain, but not the end of the world. 

Still I saw a post that said that it will likely go on sale over the summer so while I do intend to purchase eventually, I have one fully functional NAS running TrueNas already, so I will wait patently and see if that comes to fruition first. 
That being said, Devs, Fathers day is a great time to have a sale. ;-)

Currently I ended up using mergerfs + snapraid in a Proxmox-based system. Seems like this supports most of my (current) needs. The only difference I currently see between what I'm doing today and potential unraid setup is real-time parity, which I don't care as much about as to justify the price of unlimited license of the latter. In fact, looking at this comparison table (don't know how up-to-date it is though), snapraid even seems superior in several other aspects.