MOVING Files: Share-to-Share or Disk-to-Disk?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have read that I should be careful NOT to move files from a SHARE to a DISK or vice-versa and making sure to always use Share-to-Share OR Disk-to-Disk MOVING. I assume that this is still valid for the latest Unraid v6.12.9?

I have a bunch of disks added as Pools (1-disk per pool) containing a few TB of data that I need to migrate to the newly setup ARRAY. I have been trying to MOVE these data from these disks to the array via MC or Krusader. On a DISK-to-DISK level this works fine and PHYSICALLY MOVES the data to the selected array-DISK. Sadly, this annuls the whole Unraid-balancing, since i have to manually select the array destination-disk...

Using MC or Krusader to MOVE on a  SHARE-to-SHARE level, seems that it simply maps/links the file to be moved instead of physically moving it, leaving the file residing in the pool-disk. So, how can I PHYSICALLY MOVE files from my pool-disks to the Array?

Thank you.

Edited by G3orgios
  • Solution
19 minutes ago, G3orgios said:

Using MC or Krusader to MOVE on a  SHARE-to-SHARE level, seems that it simply "maps" the file to be moved instead of physically moving it. So, how can I PHYSICALLY MOVE files from my pool-disks to the Array?

This behaviour is documented here in the Caution in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page. 

you need to use a copy/delete strategy for moving files to avoid this.    If you use the Dynamix File Manager plugin to move files it will do this automatically.