One share gone after cache recreation, "Share does not exist"?!

Hi,

I've been running an unraid server for a few years.

A day ago a cache drive dired. I was running 2TB + 2TB + 128GB cache drives and the small one died. No issue erase and remove it.

After that the system ran fine and I checked that my latest data was available. It was all good.

Today the array wouldn't start. Complaining about the cache drives again. With the confidence of long load times when the disks spin up and having seen all my data after the last clear I cleared and recreated the cache pool.

Seemed to work until I realized that one of my shares was just gone. Not listed in shares and I can't see it if I traverse the file system online. Not mountable from my desktop.

I can see by the used space on my array that it still uses up space (probably around 7 TB) but I can't find any way to get my files. And this is the last share I would have wanted to loose.

Reading through the diagnostics dump I can see the config for the share (bildtemp) but it has a comment added at the top "# Share does not exist"

How do I recover from this?

What went wrong?

All help is greatly appreciated. It would crush me to loose this data.

tower-diagnostics-20240429-2210.zip

16 minutes ago, alexanderSad said:

bildtemp is the name. Which despite it's name did not hold only temporary data.

That share is configured to all be on the 'cache' pool (space permitting) so if you did not back it up before you cleared the cache pool its contents will have been lost.

1 hour ago, alexanderSad said:

t was several times larger than the cache pool. I my understanding was that prefer cache was a read cache. Writes straight through to disk. That is how the write speeds behaved at least.

No - exactly the opposite - i is a write cache.   Each file goes to the cache unless it will not fit.  Only overflow files get written to the array.

Well this was incredibly depressing.

I thought I had set everything up to write to disk always :(

What are my chances of finding the files with file recover programs on the caches?

I just can't believe this happened. I really really would have expected a lot more warning with clearing the cache if the cache was in fact not a cache at all.