Folder appears empty when I log into my server on my windows computer

Hi,

When I first setup my server I followed this tutorial to get me setup - 

When I had set it up on my main computer it all worked great and then when I got my second computer I think I was still able to connect to my server by going into window explorer and typing //server-name and then enter my credentials and all my folders would appear.

I haven’t used the second computer in a while (since I successfully logged in) and also a few months back I reorganised all my cabling where I unplugged almost everything.

Today when I went to log back in I get prompted with a credentials sign in but when I log in I don’t see any of my folders? I know my server is working as I can access it from my main computer. And I’m also able to access the web UI using //server-name and in the tutorial it asks to edit the host file which I’m also able to access in my browser when I type in //server-name-host.

Any ideas why this would happen and how I could fix it? To note in the tutorial it says to use a static ip which I haven’t done it’s still set to automatic (which I know is bad) but still works for my main computer. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

6 hours ago, gus1234 said:

Today when I went to log back in I get prompted with a credentials sign in but when I log in I don’t see any of my folders? I know my server is working as I can access it from my main computer. And I’m also able to access the web UI using //server-name and in the tutorial it asks to edit the host file which I’m also able to access in my browser when I type in //server-name-host.

We will need more information to even start troubleshooting this problem. 

Please tell what OS and its version the client computer is running.

Give us a screen shot of what you see after entering your credentials.

Also, take some time and read the first post and .PDF files in that post in this link:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/  

If the client computer is running Windows, you will have to restart/reboot the Windows computer any time you want to test a different approach as Windows does not provide an easy way to logout of a server. 

I would also suggest that you use  a 'Windows Credential'  (entered using Credential Manager) rather than manually typing them when prompted.  (With Windows, you can easily get logged in with the wrong credentials.  When the server does ask for permission for access certain resources, Windows will prompt for one, you  enter it but then the Windows client does not allow access using it because it only allows one login to each server!  Any error message that it may display is generally misleading...) 

Edited by Frank1940

Hi thanks for your reply,

My client computer is running Windows 10 Pro and so is my main computer (which is accessing the same server)

Here's a screenshot of what Im seeing after I enter in my credentials -

image.thumb.png.7f54763e26e77584dc1dbbc56fe5173a.png

Oh thank you I did actually find that post today, I can see my server under the Network dropdown. I just cant see any of my folders within my share when I log onto my server in the file explorer. I should add I am also accessing the same server from my main computer at the same time if that makes a difference?

In Unraid I did make a user under which Im using to log into for both computers

Just because both clients are running Windows 10 does not mean that they are set up exactly the same way.  There are a number of reasons for this including how the OEM configured it, changes made to the client by the operator in the past, etc. 

56 minutes ago, gus1234 said:

Here's a screenshot of what Im seeing after I enter in my credentials -

What was the path for that screenshot? 

11 hours ago, gus1234 said:

When I had set it up on my main computer it all worked great and then when I got my second computer I think I was still able to connect to my server by going into window explorer and typing //server-name and then enter my credentials and all my folders would appear.

I haven’t used the second computer in a while (since I successfully logged in) and also a few months back I reorganised all my cabling where I unplugged almost everything.

OK--  You  have to use Windows Explorer (or Windows File Manager)  and the proper command is   \\server-name  ----  If you use  //server-name,  you will (probably) be taken to a web browser (At least, in WIN11 PRO ver 23H2 ***) and you will be presented with a login window for the Unraid webGUI.  (The reverse slash ( \  ) in Windows denotes the file path separator and forward slash  (  /  ) is denotes a browser path separator.) 

What the instructions in the PDF are intended to do is to configure any WIN10/WIN11 client computer to be able to simply connect with any Unraid server.  It will take about an hour to work your way through them.  One important step to set up a Windows Credential in Credential Manager to your Unraid server.  Once you do that you will never see a login prompt when you access the server. 

***  It is very important to realize that are many, many variations of the Windows OS.  They all look very similiar but behind the paint and under the hood, there are significant differences!  Not only that but MS is now sliding new features in Windows between the major releases.  We next may have to be referring to build numbers rather than WIN11 PRO 22H2 or 23H2... 

20 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

What was the path for that screenshot? 

The path would have been //server-fast (It matches the name I set in the host file)

OK--  You  have to use Windows Explorer (or Windows File Manager) 

Oh I don’t have either of those? Only file explorer which I’m also using on the other computer.

If it helps both computers seem to be running build 19045

If you use  //server-name,  you will (probably) be taken to a web browser (At least, in WIN11 PRO ver 23H2 ***) and you will be presented with a login window for the Unraid webGUI.

Oh for me the opposite happens when I type \\server-name it takes me to the webGUI. But maybe that’s because I’m using windows 10

21 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

What the instructions in the PDF are intended to do is to configure any WIN10/WIN11 client computer to be able to simply connect with any Unraid server.  It will take about an hour to work your way through them.  One important step to set up a Windows Credential in Credential Manager to your Unraid server.  Once you do that you will never see a login prompt when you access the server. 

I will try and give this a go hopefully it solves my problem thanks!