New drive won’t format

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I recently purchased a new 4TB drive exactly the same to my previous 2+ parity in my server. 

the drive has added but when I try to format it after starting the array it begins to format, then just cancels and no error message is given. 

13 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I do not see any attempt to format in the diagnostics 😒

Have you tried rebooting to see if it then works?

Yeah I tried last night. Multiple times. And restarted it. I’d also formatted the drive to Ntfs to see if that would work. Unraid cleared the drive this morning and that took a good few hours. And it’s gone green in the array list. But still not able to format.

• Solution

See some syslog error entries I have not seen before relating to /dev/sdc (disk3) which is I assume the one you are trying to format.   It appears there is a failed attempt to update the partition table..   I also notice that you are on a very old Unraid release (6.11.2) and cannot remember if there were errors in that release that might be relevant.

it might be worth making a backup of your Unraid flash drive and then updating to the current Unraid release (6.12.10) and seeing if the problem still occurs.  You can use the manual update method as described here to do the upgrade.   Make sure all plugins are up-to-date, and if you encounter any problems immediately after updating you can boot in Safe Mode to see if they are plugin related.   At the very least that will mean you are on the current Unraid release which is likely to make further troubleshooting easier.

11 minutes ago, itimpi said:

See some syslog error entries I have not seen before relating to /dev/sdc (disk3) which is I assume the one you are trying to format.   It appears there is a failed attempt to update the partition table..   I also notice that you are on a very old Unraid release (6.11.2) and cannot remember if there were errors in that release that might be relevant.

it might be worth making a backup of your Unraid flash drive and then updating to the current Unraid release (6.12.10) and seeing if the problem still occurs.  You can use the manual update method as described here to do the upgrade.   Make sure all plugins are up-to-date, and if you encounter any problems immediately after updating you can boot in Safe Mode to see if they are plugin related.   At the very least that will mean you are on the current Unraid release which is likely to make further troubleshooting easier.

That’s worked… I wonder why it being out of date release didn’t work. Never realised it wasn’t up to date. Thanks for your help nonetheless…