Rebuild array with replacement disk 2TB to 4TB, cache disk lost when switching

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I had a configuration like so:

Array Devices
DEVICE    IDENTIFICATION    TEMP.    READS    WRITES    ERRORS    FS    SIZE    USED    FREE
Parity    unassigned
Parity 2    WDC_WD40EZAX-00C8UB0_WD-WX12A82ED2EV - 4 TB (sdg) 26 C            
Disk 1    ST2000DM001-1CH164_Z1E6HF1W - 2 TB (sdd) 30 C        xfs    
Disk 2    WDC_WD40EZAX-00C8UB0_WD-WX92D622NRV2 - 4 TB (sdb) 24 C        xfs    
Disk 3    WDC_WD40EZAX-00C8UB0_WD-WX42D6213VCY - 4 TB (sdc) 24 C        xfs    
Slots:    5
Pool Devices
DEVICE    IDENTIFICATION    TEMP.    READS    WRITES    ERRORS    FS    SIZE    USED    FREE
Cache    Samsung_SSD_860_QVO_1TB_S4CZNF0MB47942W - 1 TB (sdf) 24 C    
Cache 2    ADATA_SX8200PNP_2N3529191NRH - 1 TB (nvme0n1)

I wanted to switch the "Disk 1" to a new disk similar to what I did with the Parity disk and Disks 2 and 3.
So I stopped the array, shutdown, switched the cables from Disk 1 to the 4TB disk. Started everything.

Problem encountered: After starting the array the configuration was as such

**Note that Disk 1 changed accordingly, *but* Cache was gone**

Array Devices
Parity    unassigned
Parity 2    WDC_WD40EZAX-00C8UB0_WD-WX12A82ED2EV - 4 TB (sdg) 26 C            
Disk 1    WDC_WD40EZAX-00C8UB0_WD-WX42D62F1K5E - 4 TB (sde) 30 C          xfs
Disk 2    WDC_WD40EZAX-00C8UB0_WD-WX92D622NRV2 - 4 TB (sdb) 24 C        xfs    
Disk 3    WDC_WD40EZAX-00C8UB0_WD-WX42D6213VCY - 4 TB (sdc) 24 C        xfs    
Slots:    5
Pool Devices
Cache  unassigned    
Cache 2    ADATA_SX8200PNP_2N3529191NRH - 1 TB (nvme0n1)

I'm not sure what to do.
* Now, when attaching the original cache disk it says: "All existing data on this device will be OVERWRITTEN when array is Started"

* And I'm not sure whether the new disk 4TB will be rebuilt. Wether I select the original 2TB disk OR the new 4TB disk, in both cases it says: "New Device".

Attached the Diagnostics.

supermicro-diagnostics-20240502-0931_anonymized.zip

• Solution

Unassign disk1 for now, and also unassign the other cache device, start array, stop array to reset the pool, re-assign both cache devices, start array, the pool should now import, if OK, stop array and re-assign disk1 to rebuild, if not post new diags.

• Upvote 1

Whe I unassign the cache devices, can I mount them to see what the contents are?

I have my photoprism importing on the cache
Also, where can I see whether the mover has ran lately?

@JorgeB Now, after unassigning the "Cache 2" I see the notice "Start will remove the missing cache disk and then bring the array on-line". Why wasn't this shown when "Cache 1" was missing? Is it possible that the Cache Pool is a duplicate from each other? If yes, could this be holding my old cache data?

19 minutes ago, eXorQue said:

Now, after unassigning the "Cache 2" I see the notice "Start will remove the missing cache disk and then bring the array on-line". Why wasn't this shown when "Cache 1" was missing?

That's normal, just do what I posted above.

• Like 1
May  2 21:13:09 supermicro kernel: BTRFS info (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdf1 errs: wr 1521310, rd 486, flush 147793, corrupt 1821, gen 0

This shows that one of the pool devices dropped offline in the past, run a correcting scrub on the pool and make sure there are no unrecoverable errors, if successful then run a balance to raid1, since currently it has dual profiles.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

@JorgeB First of all, thank you for helping me so far. Everything seems to work out great :) 

I've executed both Scrub and Balance. Those disks seem to be fine. It had corrected a bunch of things.

I then tried to start docker again by disabling and enabling the service in Settings > Docker. This gave me the message in the docker tab "Docker Service failed to start."

Then with this command, but got the following error:

```
/etc/rc.d/rc.docker start
no image mounted at /var/lib/docker
```

Could it be that the docker.img isn't mounted? What to do

Edit: added diags

supermicro-diagnostics-20240503-0944.zip

Edited by eXorQue
Added diags