Disk Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system after switch to ZFS

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I had a disk fail so needed to replace it. In the process of replacing it I was hoping to switch to ZFS from XFS but I think I may have screwed myself. Before replacing the disk, the system was emulating it without issue. I stopped the array, installed the new disk, set its file system to ZFS and started the array and let it rebuild from parity. Rebuild complete I have a Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system error. I have not at any point formatted the drive. I'm hopping I have not lost any data here but want to ask for help prior to taking any more steps to ensure I don't mess it up any more.

• Solution

You cannot change the file system type in this way as the rebuild process works at the raw sector level and is file system agnostic so it can only rebuild the previous file system.   Stopping the array and setting the file system back to XFS and then restarting the array should with any luck bring back your data.

Changing file systems on a drive always involves copying the data elsewhere; reformatting the drive to the new file system (wiping it contents); and then copying the data back.