Call trace

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

I keep getting random crashes of my unraid server. Sometimes it runs for weeks, but usually this is after a few days or sometimes less than a day. The syslog didn’t reveal anything either. However, I was able to grab two snapshots attached there, which could possibly be related to an error? I’m wondering if there is a kernel/hardwire issue on the server. Diagnostics are also attached. I could also get the syslog file if needed too. Thank you!

IMG_5362.jpeg

IMG_5361.jpeg

tower-diagnostics-20240525-0918.zip

Constant call traces since this time until it crashed:

May 28 02:18:21 Tower kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
May 28 02:18:21 Tower kernel: kernel BUG at arch/x86/kernel/traps.c:934!
May 28 02:18:21 Tower kernel: invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP NOPTI

Start by running memtest, if nothing is found, and because memtest is only definitive if it finds errors, try with just one stick of RAM, if the same try with a different one, that will basically rule out bad RAM, if issues persist, another thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker containers/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I was able to run the server in Safe Mode, with disks mounted and all Docker containers other than Plex running, and it remained stable until I rebooted into normal mode yesterday. Then the server crashed again this morning around the same time it had been. 

so given this, I wonder if the crashes are being caused by a plugin? Or by Plex running some maintenance tasks?

given that this seems to occur around the same time each morning, it seems like a recurring tasks of some sort is causing the issue. 

any plugins that are known to cause crashes like this? I can get a list of my plugins if that would help, if not already in the diagnostics

On 6/14/2024 at 11:06 AM, JorgeB said:

Difficult to say, try running Plex in safe mode, that should confirm it.

So, I ran the server in normal mode, without Plex running, and there was no crash overnight. Yesterday, I turned on Plex, and it crashed this morning. So, it does seem to be due to Plex, but I don’t know why that would cause a server crash? Rather than the Plex container crashing in isolation? 

UPDATE: I was able to switch to a different Plex container, using the official one rather than the version from linuxserver. The server has now been running for three days without a crash, so it seems to be due to Plex. Could this simply be a software issue, or do you think this is reflective of an unidentified hardware issue?