Gpu passthrough to vm and docker use for plex

Posted (edited)

Hi, i cannot seem to find an answer to this can someone confirm,

I wish to use rtx 3070 for a gaming vm maybe once a week when partner has a game, at all other times gpu will be used for plex transcoding and any other docker that requires gpu,

Is there a way to stop dockers and start vm, then shut down vm and start dockers, 

A script maybe? Or even manually stop and start,

Also

What happens to unraid when vm in use if i say allocate 16gb ram and 8 cores to vm, does it still function in background when gpu is in use on vm,

Any help appreciated,

The gpu is the only gpu, no on board graphics if this is useful info

I do not wish to use plex in a vm incase i need gpu for other dockers i am of the understanding all docker containers have access to gpu when no vms are in use, if for instance there is no other use for a gpu with dockers then maybe having a vm for plex is the correct path? And switch between vms, this is dependent on no other dockers requiring gpu use and im fairly green with dockers and vms

Edited by Sanctanox
Shit instead of shut typo

Sorry I can't offer help, but I am interested in this as well.

My understanding is that you can't do this at all, but I hope I'm mistaken... I would love to do this as well... my 4080 sits unused for weeks at a time, but I don't want to have to reconfigure my server when I do find a little bit of time to play a game.

Posted (edited)

what CPU are you using?

If you have a i5 8400 or above and it has a integrated GPU u can tell Plex to use that for the transcoding etc.

in my unraid I have a 1050Ti that I use for VM and my plex runs all its transcodes via the iGPU on the CPU.

In plex I have it set to use whatever it wants (99% of the time it is using the iGPU) so if my VM is using the GPU it will failover to the iGPU.

image.thumb.png.50a8e3cb0c45b35f20b6048d88cb5b73.png

Edited by HostCentricUK