handling a array disk

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

hi,

im new here and seek some guidance..

i have a futro thin client with 1 15GB disk in it (besides the unraid usb flash drive).

After my initial learning sessions with unraid, home assistant und pi hole, as well as learning that i want HA to be a VM so i can have the supervised verison of it to be able to use addons, im now at a point to try to clean up a bit.

I thought i start "new config" to wipe disk 1.

After i did that and started the array, i see that the disk is already used with 9,7GB.

a) Is that normal, that it got wiped, that its immediatley up to 9,7GB used ??

And another question for my future system usage.

b) Is it possible to configure disks of an array to be used for certain tasks?

Example: maybe i can say HA and pihole should use disk 1 having 15GB

and when a i build a pool with say multiple 500GB usb drives, that this will only be used by other plugins/docker/vms?

or doesnt it matter, when i mix 15GB and XGB drives in an array?

Or is it even the best practice to have the 15GB mounted SSD drive assigned as a cache drive anyway, and it wont interfere with the other array disk sizes anyway?

thx

• Solution

New config references the parity disk, it allows rearranging array data disks and recalculating parity based on the new arrangement.

It doesn't erase any data disks, only the parity disk(s).

If you want to wipe a disk, you need to format it, the easiest way to do this in the Unraid GUI is to click on the disk and change the desired format type, start the array, and select the format button after making sure only the disks you want erased are listed and checking the "Yes I want to do this" button.

Array disks can't be trimmed, typically you would use various pools for SSD's. Currently Unraid requires disk1 in the array to be populated to start, so you can use any old USB flash drive as disk1.

You can assign specific duties to various pools.