Best option to add one more SATA

Hi,

I'd like to add one more SATA to my server. I will add one more 5in3 IcyDock. I have two 3in2 and one 5in3 IcyDocks currently. The hardware that is already in it:

ASUS M4A78LT-M    6 SATA, 1x PCIe, 16x PCIe, PCI (x2)

Supermicro SASLP-MV8 (16x PCIe)    8x SATA

Rosewill RC-212 (1x PCIe)    2x SATA

Currently, I have a 120GB Intel SSD drive as cache connected to one of the MB SATA ports as well as some of my bigger 2TB and 3TB drives connected to the others and then some other drives connected to the rest.

I see that I only have two options:

The first is that I get a port multiplier card. I'm not sure if the SATA ports on the MB would support this though...so I may have to use it on the Supermicro or on the Rosewill. I guess it makes more sense to use it on the Supermicro...since that should be faster...still I am not sure I like this option.

The other option is that I buy a PCI card such as this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10407&cs_id=1040702&p_id=959&seq=1&format=2. PCI should theoretically handle 133MB/s...which should be faster than the hard drive that is connected to it. I would not connect any more than one...or put any other cards in the second PCI slot. I would also connect one of the smaller hard drives to this port.

I suppose the third option is to replace the Supermicro card with one that has more ports....but I really like this card and how it works with unRAID so I would rather not.

Any opinions? To me, the second option seems like the best. Theoretically, a port multiplier might be faster but it also seems like a lot of hassle. Thanks.

I use the 4 port version of this card with no issues.

I have 4 drives hooked up to it to play with PCI pass thru on different virtualization platforms so speed isn't something I'm worried about at this point. 

Day to day data transfer is painless, streaming to a single device over wifi is limited more by my wifi than the data bus on the computer and I haven't tried steaming to multiple devices.  During parity check I was getting 20 mbps, I was getting 40 mbps with 2 drives on this card and 6 on the MB.

The 4 port was plug and play and works with 4.7 and beta 14 (mileage may vary).

Agree on PCI card. I've used that same exact card and never had issues with the card itself on my Asus board.

Where I did have issues is with my Gigabyte board. I tried to run with and Adaptec 1430 card and it just hung the system. I pulled the card and moved on. Could have been a fluke. I never looked further since the MB upgrade provided plenty of sata ports then.

The card is inexpensive but if it doens't work out you can return it. Monoprice has a great return policy.