Double Parity Upgrade - Fallback to Old

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

I just ordered 2 new larger drives to upgrade my parity drives. I was hoping to swap both out at the same time after stress testing the new drives, but in the unlikely event one of the array drives fail during rebuilding the 2 parity drives, would I simply be able to swap one of the old parity drives back into parity and recover, or once I start to rebuild the new parity drives there is no going back?

• Solution

Depends on whether you want to continue using the data while the rebuild is happening. If you do it in maintenance mode, you can easily put the old drives back.

If you want to continue to use the server during the swap, the safest way would be to do one at a time.

7 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Depends on whether you want to continue using the data while the rebuild is happening. If you do it in maintenance mode, you can easily put the old drives back.

If you want to continue to use the server during the swap, the safest way would be to do one at a time.

Ah thanks. Makes sense. I will play it safe and do one at a time. Just trying to be impatient.